Brig. Gen. Robert D. LaBrutta is Commander, 502nd Air Base Wing and Joint Base San Antonio, Texas, which includes JBSA-Randolph, JBSA-Fort Sam Houston, JBSA-Lackland, and JBSA-Camp Bullis. The 8,000-person 502 ABW executes 49 installation support functions that bolsters the largest Joint Base in the DoD consisting of 266 Mission Partners, more than 80,000 full-time personnel and a local community of more than 250,000 retirees. The 502nd ABW also manages and provides oversight for $4.5 billion in directed Base Closure and Realignment and other major projects and a physical plant worth more than $37 billion.
General LaBrutta enlisted in the Air Force in 1981 and later earned a commission as a Personnel Officer through the Air Force ROTC program at Southwest Texas State University in May 1989. He has served in a wide variety of assignments to include base level, the Air Force Personnel Center, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, a Major Air Force Command and Combatant Command staff. His command tours include squadron, group and wing levels.
Prior to his current assignment, he was the Director, Manpower and Personnel, United States Central Command, MacDill AFB, Florida.
1989 Bachelor of Arts Degree in Business Administration, Texas Lutheran College
1994 Master of Science in Business Management, Florida Institute of Technology
1997 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval Command and Staff College, Newport, R.I.
2007 Master of Strategic Studies "With Highest Distinction," Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, Chapel Hill, N.C.
2008 Leadership Development Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2014 Air Force Smart Operations for the 21st Century Executive Leaders Course, Haslam College of Business, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
1. May 1989 - June 1992, Chief, Personnel Utilization Section; Chief, Quality Force Section; Chief, Personnel Programs Section, Brooks AFB, Texas
2. July 1992 - July 1995, OIC, Intelligence Assignments and Human Resource Management; DP Quality Advisor; OIC, Senior Officer Personnel Programs, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
3. August 1995 - May 1997, Air Force Intern, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
4. May 1997 - April 1998, Commander, Military Personnel Flight, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
5. May 1998 - June 2001, Chief, Personnel Officer Assignments and Chief, Officer Promotions Management, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
6. July 2001 - May 2002, Student, Naval Command and Staff College, Newport, R.I.
7. June 2002 - June 2004, Commander, 355th Mission Support Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz. (February 2004 - May 2004, Commander, 455th Expeditionary Support Squadron, Bagram AB, Afghanistan)
8. July 2004 - June 2006, Chief, Director's Action Group and Vice Director for the Manpower and Personnel Directorate, JCS/J-1, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
9. July 2006 - May 2007, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. June 2007 - October 2008, Commander, 37th Mission Support Group, Lackland AFB, Texas
11. November 2008 - June 2010, Director of Manpower, Personnel and Services, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
12. June 2010 - January 2012, Commander, 72nd Air Base Wing, Tinker AFB, Okla.
13. January 2012 - May 2013, Director, Manpower and Personnel, United States Central Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
14. May 2013 - present, Commander, 502nd Air Base Wing and Joint Base San Antonio, Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston, Texas
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2004 - June 2006, Chief, Director's Action Group and Vice Director for the Manpower and Personnel Directorate, JCS/J-1, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a lieutenant colonel and a colonel
2. January 2012 - May 2013, Director, Manpower and Personnel, U.S. Central Command, as a colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Recognition Ribbon
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 14, 1989
First Lieutenant June 9, 1991
June 9, 1993
Major July 1, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2003
Colonel Jan. 1, 2007
Brigadier General Aug. 2, 2013
(Current as of September 2015)