Brig. Gen. Mark K. Johnson is the commander of Defense Logistics Agency Aviation, a field activity of the Defense Logistics Agency. With its headquarters in Richmond, Va., and operating at 18 sites across the U.S., DLA Aviation is the aviation demand and supply chain manager for Defense Logistics Agency with more than 3,500 civilian and military personnel. DLA Aviation supports more than 1,800 weapon systems and is the U.S. military's integrated materiel manager for more than 1.1 million national stock number items, industrial retail supply and depot-level repairable acquisitions. General Johnson oversees an aviation demand chain responsible for more than $4.4 billion in annual sales.
General Johnson entered the Air Force in 1988 after graduating from the Virginia Military Institute, Lexington, Va. in 1987 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics. A career Logistics Readiness Officer, he has commanded units at the squadron, group, and wing level, as well as served in logistics staff positions at the major-command, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, and joint levels.
1987 Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics, Virginia Military Institute, Lexington, Va.
1996 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Master of Business Administration degree in Aviation Management, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University
2002 Master of Science degree in Military Arts and Science, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2006 Master of Military Science degree, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Leadership Enhancement Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2012 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of Virginia, Darden School of Business, Charlottesville, Va.
1. February 1988 - July 1990, Supply Operations Officer, 3345th Supply Squadron, Chanute AFB, Ill.
2. July 1990 - July 1993, Supply Operations Officer, 18th Supply Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan
3. July 1993 - June 1996, Logistics Career Broadening Program and Program Manager, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
4. June 1996 - May 1999, Supply Staff Officer and later Aide-de-Camp, Headquarters Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
5. May 1999 - June 2001, Commander, 374th Supply Squadron, Yokota Air Base, Japan
6. June 2001 - June 2002, Student, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
7. June 2002 - June 2005, Supply Staff Officer and later, Executive Officer, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations, and Mission Support, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
8. June 2005 - May 2006, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. May 2006 - May 2008, Director for Logistics, J4, Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, N.C.
10. May 2008 - May 2010, Commander, 1st Special Operations Mission Support Group, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
11. May 2010 - May 2012, Commander, 635th Supply Chain Operations Wing, Scott AFB, Ill.
12. May 2012 - March 2013, Deputy Director of Logistics - Sustainment, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
13. March 2013 - present, Commander, Defense Logistics Agency Aviation, Richmond, Va.
1. May 2006 - May 2008, Director for Logistics, J4, Joint Special Operations Command, Fort Bragg, N.C., lieutenant colonel and a
2. March 2013 - present, Commander, Defense Logistics Agency Aviation, Richmond, Va., as a colonel and a brigadier general
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Oct. 20, 1987
First Lieutenant Oct. 20, 1989
Captain Oct. 20, 1991
Major May 1, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2003
Colonel Jan.1, 2007
Brigadier General Aug. 2, 2013
(Current as of August 2013)