Official Site of the U.S. Air Force   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

News > SOUTHCOM chief praises Haiti quake response
 
Related Biographies
 GENERAL DOUGLAS M. FRASER
SOUTHCOM chief praises Haiti quake response

Posted 1/13/2011 Email story   Print story

    


by Arthur McQueen
U.S. Army Garrison Miami


1/13/2011 - DORAL, Fla. (AFNS) -- A year after his headquarters staff jumped into action to coordinate the military response to a devastating earthquake in Haiti, Gen. Douglas Fraser, the commander of U.S. Southern Command, offered high praise Jan. 12 for the hard work and dedication they demonstrated.

General Fraser, during his first all-hands meeting in his command's new headquarters, marked the one-year anniversary of the magnitude 7.0 earthquake that killed an estimated 300,000 people and displaced one-third of Haiti's population.

"Many of us remember where we were when it happened, and where we were for quite some time afterward," he told about 1,000 service members, civilian employees and contractors who filled the gymnasium.

General Fraser praised the many long hours the SOUTHCOM staff members spent coordinating the military response in support of the interagency and international relief effort, and noted the augmentation more than 800 additional staff provided.

He led a moment of silence for Lt. Col. Ken Bourland, who was killed in the collapse of the Hotel Montana. Colonel Bourland, SOUTHCOM 's Caribbean desk officer, was visiting Haiti for an official meeting with Haitian defense and security counterparts when the earthquake struck.

While looking back over the past year, General Fraser also shared his focus for 2011, particularly in light of budget limitations and likely changes in manning and funding.

"The secretary of defense has a significant effort under way to take ability out of the tail and move it into the tooth," he told the group. "We will have to take a look at what we can and can't do. There are a lot of changes coming throughout the Department of Defense."

With the inevitable return of another hurricane season to Miami, General Fraser offered assurance that the command is prepared to face it in a facility that can withstand a Category-5 storm. He asked for everyone's assistance to keep it up to standards so that it lasts well into the future.

"It's been a privilege this last year to serve with you," General Fraser told the group. "We have great partners and great relationships with the militaries throughout the region. That is a tribute to each and every one of you. I look forward to a very prosperous and uneventful, but focused, 2011."



tabComments
1/18/2011 2:06:21 PM ET
Praise to Gen Fraser for remembering Lt Col Ken Bourland's passing--an outstanding officer and good friend.
LTCB, Beale AFB CA
 
Add a comment

 Inside AF.mil

ima cornerSearch

tabSubscribe AF.MIL
tabMore HeadlinesRSS feed 
New training facility opens in Wyoming

Solar power lights up Southwest Asia

Separate paths bring brothers together for Christmas  1

All I want for Christmas ... Daddy!

Osan community brightens holidays for Korean orphans  |  VIDEO

Deployed Airman receives Christmas phone call from President Obama

Air Force Week in Photos

Premier AF concert band 'wows' fellow musicians at Midwest Clinic  11

Pararescue, security forces Airmen train as one  10

Through Airmen's Eyes: High school reunion ... above Afghanistan

Space Fence program moves forward  1

Kunsan AB, Hurlburt Field Airmen unite to spread holiday cheer

Operation Christmas Drop  1

Air Force Week in Photos

tabCommentaryRSS feed 
Legacy of valor  1

There IS an I in team  3


Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing