Official Site of the U.S. Air Force   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

News > Mullen endorses Afghanistan drawdown plan
Mullen endorses Afghanistan drawdown plan

Posted 6/23/2011 Email story   Print story

    


by Karen Parrish
American Forces Press Service


6/23/2011 - WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff told Congress June 23 he endorses the president's plan to withdraw troops from Afghanistan.

Navy Adm. Mike Mullen testified before the House Armed Services Committee following President Barack Obama's announcement June 22 that 33,000 U.S. troops now in Afghanistan will return home by September 2012.

Admiral Mullen said he and the Pentagon's top generals had been part of the decision process in planning the troop withdrawal.

"As has been the case throughout the development and execution of the Afghanistan-Pakistan strategy, the commander in chief presided over an inclusive and comprehensive discussion about what to do next," the chairman said.

Admiral Mullen said the foremost concern in discussing the troop drawdown was preserving the success gained thus far in Afghanistan.

"We believed back when the strategy was established in December of 2009 that it would be about now, this summer, before we could determine whether or not ... the resources were enough and the counterinsurgency focus was appropriate," he said.

"Now we know. We did have it right," the admiral added. "The strategy is working. Al-Qaida is on their heels, and the Taliban's momentum in the south has been checked. We have made extraordinary progress against the mission we have been assigned and are, therefore, now in a position to begin a responsible transition out of Afghanistan."

Admiral Mullen said in line with the president's orders, 10,000 American troops will withdraw by the end of this year and the remaining 23,000 surge troops by the end of next summer.

Army Gen. David H. Petraeus and his successor as U.S. commander in Afghanistan will have flexibility in setting the pace for withdrawal and positioning remaining forces inside the country, the chairman said.

"There's no 'jumping ship' here -- quite the contrary," Admiral Mullen said. "We will have at our disposal the great bulk of the surge forces throughout this, and most of the next, fighting season."

Mullen said he originally thought the president's plan was more aggressive and with more risk than he was prepared to accept, adding that more force for more time is the safer course.

"But that does not necessarily make it the best course," he said. "Only the president, in the end, can really determine the acceptable level of risk we must take. I believe he has done so."

Maintaining a large U.S. troop contingent in Afghanistan would have caused a negative impact on the development of Afghan security forces, the chairman said.

"We would have denied the Afghan security forces, who've grown in capability, opportunities to further exercise that capability and to lead," Admiral Mullen said. "We would have signaled to the enemy and to our regional partners that the Taliban still possess strength enough to warrant the full measure of our presence. They do not."

The president's plan also will allow the United States to reset its forces more quickly and reduce the "not inconsiderable" cost of deploying them, the chairman noted.

"We have earned this opportunity," he said. "Though not without risk, it is also not without its rewards."

As the war in Afghanistan enters a new phase, huge challenges remain, Admiral Mullen said.

"This is the beginning -- not the end -- of our effort to wind down this war," he said. "No one in uniform is under any illusion that there will not be more violence, more casualties, more struggles or more challenges as we continue to accomplish the mission there."

While progress in Afghanistan has been considerable, Admiral Mullen noted, it can be reversed without constant leadership, the contributions of partner and regional nations, and a more concerted effort by the Afghan government to address corruption in its ranks and deliver basic goods and services to the people.

Future progress in Afghanistan, he said, will require U.S. support for an Afghan political process of reconciliation with Taliban members who break with al-Qaida, renounce violence and accept the Afghan constitution.

"And we know we need to continue building a strategic partnership with Afghanistan," the admiral added. "One based not on military footprint but on mutual friendship. Our troop presence will diminish, as it should, but the partnership between our two nations will and must endure."

Afghanistan's future will be decided "not by how much our respective soldiers fight, but by how much our statesmen lead," Admiral Mullen concluded.



tabComments
6/28/2011 12:31:14 PM ET
Read will require U.S. support for an Afgahn political process of reconcilation with Taliban members. So perhaps in the early spring of '45 we should have cut a deal with Himmler or Von Rundstedt. Shouldn't the goal be to destroy the Taliban, not let our Afghan puppet government make deals with them?
lee caplinger, toledo oh ang
 
6/24/2011 10:18:46 PM ET
Now is the time to start bringing our men and women home. We need to let Afghans stand on their own two feet just like Iraqis need to do. The whole region needs to learn how to get along. America can't be everywhere. We have issues here at home we need to concentrate on first. Retired AF.
JIM QUICK SR., TN
 
6/23/2011 5:21:10 PM ET
According to the Pentagon there are 94,000 troops on the the ground now, minus 33,000 if my math is correct, would leave about 61,000 troops still remaining. Will deployments continue which adds to the number of troops or will they stop deployments? All in all it is a good move. Get'em Out
Smoker , AZ
 
Add a comment

 Inside AF.mil

ima cornerSearch

tabSubscribe AF.MIL
tabMore HeadlinesRSS feed 
VA launches hotline for health care, women veteran questions

Ramstein Airmen train with Romanian counterparts

Langley selected for 'better foods, better bodies' pilot

EPA recognizes Air Force renewable energy efforts  1

SecAF: Readiness, modernization in flux

SecAF discusses Airmen morale

Through Airmen's Eyes: Marathon man trains to buckle up

Deployed Airmen save lives miles from front lines

Air Force, Italian medics simulate joint patient care

Nobel Laureate gives important decision-making tips

Doolittle Raiders greet, inspire Hurlburt Field Airmen during final reunion  2

Sequestration will affect force readiness  3

Airmen, EPA combine conservation efforts for Earth Day

Sequestration impact on combat aviation: decreased readiness  1

tabCommentaryRSS feed 
The difficult discussion

A tribute to the Doolittle Raiders  4


Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security & Policy     No Fear Act     E-publishing