Official Site of the U.S. Air Force   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

News > Iraq drawdown on track, USTRANSCOM official says
Iraq drawdown on track, USTRANSCOM official says

Posted 8/5/2011 Email story   Print story

    


by Terri Moon Cronk
American Forces Press Service


8/5/2011 - WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- From pens to Bradley fighting vehicles, 1.7 million pieces of military equipment have been moved out of Iraq so far, as the Dec. 31 deadline for U.S. forces to be out of Iraq approaches, a U.S. Transportation Command official said this week.

"The mission is looking good," said Air Force Maj. John Rozsnyai, who heads up USTRANSCOM joint planning team for the effort.

The drawdown from Iraq, which began Sept. 1 after combat operations ceased, now stands at nearly 60 percent complete for U.S. military equipment, officials said. Transcom has five months to bring home the remaining troops and the last 1 million pieces of military equipment. Rozsnyai said he had just returned from a "tabletop" organizing meeting in Kuwait.

"Everything we're seeing is tracking well," he said.

The bulk of equipment is returning to the United States, Rozsnyai said, and the Army claims 90 percent of the load. U.S. Central Command officials decide whether equipment goes back to the United States, to the Iraqis for their forces, or is sent to Afghanistan to help the war effort there, he explained.

Meanwhile, he added, the possibility that the Iraqi government may ask for some U.S. forces to remain in Iraq beyond this year affects decisions about the equipment that has yet to be brought out.

"Part of the equipment uncertainty is whether the Iraqi government will want the United States to stay longer," Rozsnyai said. "Requirements for equipment are being balanced between [Afghanistan and Iraq]," he added.

After destinations are decided, USTRANSCOM officials begin the mammoth task of moving troops and equipment.

Iraq's terrain and infrastructure are more favorable for this type of effort than Afghanistan's rough and rocky landscape, the major said.

"It's easy to get a convoy to Kuwait [or] Jordan," he said. "The processes we have in Iraq are working well."

Still, minor modifications would make the roads better for transporting equipment, he said, to provide "wiggle room" if it's needed in November and December. Other improvements are in the works to make Transcom's job easier, Rozsnyai said.

"We're working on improving lines of communication, and a service route for critical, sensitive cargo, to give us another option out there," he said.

But not everything has been moving out of Iraq over land, Rozsnyai said. When it became apparent last summer that one seaport had a high capacity, he explained, Transcom planners saw it as an opportunity.

"That port's capacity will give us a really good handle on airlift capacity and our requirements with the commercial industry," he said.

Commercial air and sea carriers work with Transcom officials to assist in the moves, Rozsnyai said.

For example, he said, a commercial ship returning from taking a load of cargo to the Middle East can stop in Kuwait, fill up with U.S. military cargo, and continue on to the U.S. It's more cost-effective to use a ship already on an established route than to pull a military ship out of dry dock and prepare it to make the trips, he explained.



tabComments
No comments yet.  
Add a comment

 Inside AF.mil

ima cornerSearch

tabSubscribe AF.MIL
tabMore HeadlinesRSS feed 
PHOTO ESSAY: Airmen join coalition forces in EOD mission

A family affair: Former base now home to burrowing owl family  3

July/August Airman magazine now available

Air Force Week in Photos

B-52s to receive communications upgrade  1

Academy cadets deploy, experience expeditionary life   5

AF aerial firefighters continue to battle West Fork Complex fire

Air Force announces preferred alternative for security forces regional training center consolidation  2

CSAF to sponsor 3 captains for PhD program  1

Davis-Monthan Airmen work to end veteran homelessness by 2015

Jennies to jets to stealth: Bomb wing turns 90

Concentration camp survivor to fighter pilot: 'Freedom a beautiful thing'  6

Wounded warriors adapt, overcome at Andrews sports camp

Pilots, combat systems officers may be eligible for retention incentives   8

tabCommentaryRSS feed 
Our commitment, our community

'Lucky' people take personal responsibility for their own success  16


Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention      Sexual Assault Awareness & Prevention     FOIA     IG   EEO