Official Site of the U.S. Air Force   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

News > Air Force completes FY12 civilian workforce restructure
 
Photos 
Civilian Workforce Restructuring
(U.S. Air Force graphics/Sylvia Saab)
Download HiRes
Air Force completes FY12 civilian workforce restructure

Posted 1/10/2012 Email story   Print story

    


by Ann Stefanek

1/10/2012 - WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- Air Force officials announced 4,500 additional positions for elimination as a continuation of its FY12 Civilian Workforce Restructure Jan 11.

This reduction builds on the realignments announced in November, including the elimination of 9000 positions and the addition of 5900 positions against the Air Force's top priorities. In addition, these reductions respond to the Secretary of Defense's direction to target civilian funding at fiscal year 2010 levels.

"We value our talented and experienced workforce and are trying to do everything possible to manage these reductions with as little impact to our people as possible," said Michael B. Donley, Secretary of the Air Force.

In an effort to encourage voluntary separations and retirements, the Air Force is currently offering its second round of voluntary separation incentive pay and voluntary early retirement authority programs. Civilian employees received VERA/VSIP eligibility surveys from their personnel managers earlier this month and the applications are due no later than Feb. 3. Approved applications will result in separations or retirements that take effect by April 30.

Air Force officials are still evaluating the need for a Reduction in Force.

"At this time, we are surveying the workforce for a second round of VERA/VSIP and are in the midst of management reassignments resulting from the first round of the restructure," said Brig. Gen. Gina Grosso, Director of Manpower, Organization, and Resources. "Once we exhaust all voluntary force management measures, a determination will be made whether or not a RIF is necessary. We hope to have more information in the spring."

This announcement marks the end of civilian reductions associated with the Air Force's FY12 civilian workforce restructure.



tabComments
1/18/2012 9:54:10 AM ET
The title of the piece is very deceptive. The Air Force has identified the positions, but the people who occupy those positions haven't completed leaving. So I guess for the Air Force Personnel Center the hard part is done. For the civilians affected, the hard part is still to come. Notice two statements in the article. This announcement marks the end of civilian reductions associated with the Air Force's FY12 civilian workforce restructure and Air Force officials are still evaluating the need for a Reduction in Force. If this were truly the end of the process, then why would Air Force officials still be evaluating the need for a RIF.
Jerry, Oklahoma
 
Add a comment

 Inside AF.mil

ima cornerSearch

tabSubscribe AF.MIL
tabMore HeadlinesRSS feed 
Through Airmen's Eyes: Thunderbirds crew chief takes to new heights

Academy cadets win NSA 'cyber defense' 2nd straight year

Air Force Week in Photos

Senior leaders testify on health of personnel programs

Through Airmen's Eyes: The walk toward flight  3

Affordability priority for F-35 program  4

Reservists ready for wildland fire season  1

Indonesian, U.S. forces practice humanitarian evacuation

Former Ellsworth wing commander honored

U.S.-Australia agreement promotes space situational awareness

Edwards completes tests to extend KC-135  8

VA launches hotline for health care, women veteran questions

Ramstein Airmen train with Romanian counterparts  2

Langley selected for 'better foods, better bodies' pilot

tabCommentaryRSS feed 
Leadership not defined by shapes, sizes  1

The difficult discussion   1


Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security & Policy     No Fear Act     E-publishing