AF awards $25K to essay winners|
Posted 10/23/2012 Updated 10/23/2012
by Debbie Gildea
Air Force Personnel Center Public Affairs
10/23/2012 - JOINT BASE SAN ANTONIO-RANDOLPH, Texas -- The Air Force awarded $1,000 scholarships to 25 Airmen or family members for their entries in the 16th annual Air Force Club Membership Scholarship Program essay contest, Air Force Personnel Center officials announced.
The contest was open to club members and their families, more than 100 of whom submitted essays describing the meaning of the lyrics to "America the Beautiful."
"Air Force clubs are committed to fostering a sense of community among Airmen and their families," said Fred McKenney, AFPC Food and Beverage Branch chief. "Helping members defray the cost of higher education is one way we achieve that."
This year's winners are as follows:
- Emily Albert, daughter of Master Sgt. Lyle Albert, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
- Matthew Burke, son of Capt.Katherine Burke, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
- Kolten Bush, son of retired Tech. Sgt. Darwin Bush, MacDill AFB, Fla.
- Jacob A. Clark, son of Lt. Col. John R. Clark, Osan Air Base, Korea
- April M. Collins, married to Master Sgt. Joe Collins, Holloman AFB, N.M.
- Kelsey Dangerfield, daughter of Master Sgt. Constance Dangerfield, Ramstein AB, Germany
- Elizabeth Fabila, daughter of retired Master Sgt. Mario A. Fabila, Kadena AB, Japan
- 1st Lt. Ryan Michael Fortney, club member, Vance AFB, Okla.
- Sydney Diane Giefer, daughter of Lt. Col. Todd G. Giefer, Ramstein AB, Germany
- Kelli Goode, daughter of Maj. Sean C. Goode , Fairchild AFB, Wash.
- Trevor James Hoggan, son of Col. Karlan Hoggan, Langley AFB, Va.
- Taylor Marie Johnson, daughter of Lt. Col. Nathan Johnson, MacDill AFB, Fla.
- Tina Ann Johnson, daughter of Lt. Col. Nathan Johnson, MacDill AFB, Fla.
- Miles Kasey Kirts, son of Col. Kelly Kirts, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
- Eduardo Lima III, son of Tech. Sgt. Eduardo Lima Jr., Vance AFB, Okla.
- Nadine Martin, married to Senior Master Sgt. Robert J. Martin, Kadena AB, Japan
- Cody Alan Means, son of Lt. Col. Michael L. Means, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
- Dawn Morgan, married to Senior Master Sgt. Christopher Morgan, Offutt AFB, Neb.
- Jessica Sizemore, daughter of Capt. Debra Sizemore, Royal Air Force Station Lakenheath, England
- Cierra Stewart, daughter of Master Sgt. Gerva Stewart, Shaw AFB, S.C.
- Crystal A. Thomison, daughter of Tech. Sgt. William A. Thomison, Joint Base Charleston, S.C.
- Cindy Thuli, married to Capt. Zachariah Thuli, Vance AFB, Okla.
- Rachel Vander Ven, daughter of Master Sgt. John E. Vander Ven, Dover AFB, Del.
- Aime F. Vellani, daughter of retired Lt. Col. Kristine T. Kusek, Offutt AFB, Neb.
- Tiana Ziwisky, daughter of Master Sgt. Denise M. Ziwisky, Luke AFB, Ariz.
Scholarships are paid for through a combination of Air Force club program funds and commercial sponsor support.
For more information about Air Force clubs, or to read this year's winning essays, go to www.afclubs.net and select the club scholarship logo. For more information about other Air Force Services programs, go to www.usafservices.com. For information about personnel issues, visit the myPers website at https://mypers.af.mil.