Barbara A. Westgate, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Executive Director, Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado. The command comprises 38,000 space and cyberspace professionals. She assists the commander in organizing, training and equipping mission-ready forces; and acquiring and delivering space and cyberspace capabilities for North American Aerospace Defense Command, U.S. Strategic Command and the other functional and geographic combatant commands with missile warning, positioning, navigation and timing, communications and cyber capabilities. The command oversees Air Force network operations; manages a global network of satellite command and control, communications, missile warning, and space launch facilities; and, is responsible for space system development and acquisition. As the command's senior civilian, Ms. Westgate also advises the Commander on development of the more than 8,500 civilians in the workforce, as well as labor relations.
Ms. Westgate entered government service with the Air Force in 1973. She has served in numerous logistics, financial and acquisition program management positions.
Prior to assuming her present position, Ms. Westgate was the Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington D.C.
1989 Bachelor of Science degree in general studies, summa cum laude, New York Institute of Technology, Old Westbury
1989 Air Command and Staff College, by seminar
1991 Program Management Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1995 Masters of Science degree in national resource strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1997 Leadership for a Democratic Society, Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
2002 The General Manager Program, Harvard Business School, Cambridge, Mass.
1. October 1973 - July 1976, various administrative positions, Human Resources Laboratory, Aeronautical Systems Division, and Deputy Chief of Staff for Maintenance, Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. July 1976 - March 1980, Protocol Officer, Headquarters Air Force Acquisition Logistics Division, Wright- Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. March 1980 - September 1980, Computer Programmer, Deputy Chief of Staff Comptroller, Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. September 1980 - September 1982, Management Intern, Warner Robins Air Logistics Center, Robins AFB, Ga.
5. September 1982 - October 1986, Integrated Logistics Support Manager, Electronic Warfare Systems Program Office, Air Force Acquisition Logistics Division, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. October 1986 - November 1998, Deputy Program Manager for Logistics and Deputy for Specialized Management Programs, Air Force Acquisition Logistics Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. November 1988 - August 1989, Director of Logistics, Advanced Tactical Aircraft System Program Office, Air Force Acquisition Logistics Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. September 1989 - July 1992, Deputy Division Chief, Logistics Support Division, Directorate of Programs and Evaluation, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
9. July 1992 - August 1994, Air Force Liaison to the Director, Acquisition Education Training and Career Development, Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition Reform, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition and Technology, Washington, D.C.
10. August 1994 - June 1995, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. June 1995 - February 1999, Chief, Program Integration Division, Directorate of Global Power Programs, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Acquisition, Washington, D.C.
12. February 1999 - Oct 1999, Deputy Director, Directorate of Global Power Programs, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Acquisition, Washington, D.C.
13. October 1999 - September 2003, Associate Director of Programs, Deputy Chief of Staff for Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
14. September 2003 - July 2005, Director, Plans and Programs, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
15. July 2005 - September 2008, Executive Director, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
16. September 2008 - November 2012, Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
17. November 2012 - present, Executive Director, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Meritorious Civilian Service Award
National Performance Review's Hammer Award
Secretary of Defense Award for Excellence
2003 Decoration for Exceptional Civilian Service
2003 Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award
2008 Distinguished Executive Presidential Rank Award
2012 Decoration for Exceptional Civilian Service
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Former Chair and Member, Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records
Department of Defense Leadership and Management Program, Inaugural Class
Society of Logistics Engineers Advanced Design in Logistics Management
Air Force Association
Program Management and Acquisition Logistics, Level III, Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act
(Current as of March 2015)