Joan A. Causey, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Financial Operations, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Financial Management and Comptroller, Washington, D.C. Ms. Causey is the principal adviser to the Assistant Secretary and the Air Force senior staff on all issues involving the amended Chief Financial Officers Act of 1990 and related financial management reforms. She is responsible at the executive level for ensuring the Air Force complies with legislative and executive financial management mandates leading to the effective and efficient use of Air Force resources. Additionally, she is responsible for management of human resources and technology solutions for Air Force financial management.
Ms. Causey, a Sidney, Neb., native, began her federal career in 1969 as a key punch operator. She served in a variety of financial management positions until she entered the Accountant Training Program in 1985 at McClellan AFB, Calif. Ms Causey has more than 39 years experience in federal financial management. Prior to assuming her current position, she was the Director, Financial Services, Air Force Financial Services Center, Ellsworth Air Force Base, S.D., with responsibility for the centralization of travel and military pay support for Air Force active-duty military, civilian and Reserve personnel.
1987 Associate degree in accounting, American River College, Sacramento, Calif.
1990 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1990 Comptroller Staff Officer Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
1991 Professional Military Comptroller School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1993 Bachelor of Business Administration degree in management, cum laude, Golden Gate University, San Francisco, Calif.
1995 Master of Business Administration degree in management, Golden Gate University, San Francisco, Calif.
2005 Senior Executive Service Seminar, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Systems Acquisition Management for General/Flag Officers, Defense Acquisition University, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2007 Air War College, by correspondence
2009 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Darden School of Business, University of Virginia, Charlottesville
1. June 1969 - February 1993, numerous public sector positions, including accounting and finance positions in civilian payroll, travel, working capital fund payables and reporting, and commercial services
2. March 1993 - February 1994, Chief, Accounts Control Division, McClellan AFB, Calif.
3. March 1994 - April 1995, Chief, Management and Procedures Division, McClellan AFB, Calif.
4. April 1995 - December 1997, Chief, Systems Management Office, later, Deputy Director for Finance, Limestone Operating Location, Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Limestone, Maine
5. December 1997 - June 1999, Deputy Regional Accounting and Finance Officer, U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
6. June 1999 - March 2001, Deputy Director for Air Force Accounting, DFAS-Europe, Kleber Kaserne, Germany
7. March 2001 - June 2003, Principal Deputy, later, Director, Europe Field Site, DFAS, Kleber Kaserne, Germany
8. June 2003 - June 2005, Director, Dayton Field Site, DFAS, Dayton, Ohio
9. June 2005 - May 2008, Senior Financial Adviser, Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. May 2008 - February 2010, Director, Financial Services, Air Force Financial Services Center, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
11. February 2010 - present, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Financial Operations, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Financial Management and Comptroller, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
2005 Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller) Financial Management Initiative Award (Headquarters and Major Command Level), AFMC Working Capital Fund Financial Compliance Team
2007 Air Force Financial Management and Comptroller Annual Special Acts and Service Award, Headquarters AFMC/FM Compliance Team, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Air Force Association
Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records
American Society of Military Comptrollers
Golden Gate University Alumni Association
Acquisition Professional Development Program, Level II
Certified Defense Financial Manager
(Current as of December 2012)