Maj. Gen. Boyd L. Ashcraft is mobilization assistant to the Commander, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas.
Commissioned through the ROTC program at Purdue University, he entered pilot training at Laredo AFB, Texas, in 1964. During the Vietnam War, he flew 120 combat missions, of which 100 were over North Vietnam. After joining the Air Force Reserve in 1970, General Ashcraft commanded the 45th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Grissom AFB, Ind. He later served as Vice Commander for the 917th Tactical Fighter Wing, Barksdale AFB, La.
General Ashcraft is a command pilot with more than 5,000 flying hours, of which more than 3,000 hours were logged in fighter aircraft.
1964 Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics, Purdue University, Ind.
1975 Industrial College of the Armed Forces
1988 Air War College, by correspondence
1. March 1964 - March 1965, student, undergraduate pilot training, Laredo AFB, Texas
2. March 1965 - October 1966, pilot, 30th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, Royal Air Force Station Alconbury, England
3. October 1966 - May 1967, pilot, 11th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, Udorn Royal Thai AFB, Thailand
4. May 1967 - September 1970, instructor pilot, 3575th Flying Training Wing, Vance AFB, Okla.
5. September 1970 - February 1973, instructor pilot, 71st Special Operations Squadron, Grissom AFB, Ind.
6. February 1973 - May 1976, instructor pilot and operations officer, 46th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Grissom AFB, Ind.
7. May 1976 - September 1978, operations officer, 45th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Grissom AFB, Ind.
8. September 1978 - January 1984, flight commander, 45th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Grissom AFB, Ind.
9. February 1984 - April 1987, Commander, 45th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Grissom AFB, Ind.
10. April 1987 - July 1987, Vice Commander, 434th Tactical Fighter Wing, Grissom AFB, Ind.
11. July 1987 - October 1987, Vice Commander, 930th Tactical Fighter Group, Grissom AFB, Ind.
12. October 1987 - November 1990, Vice Commander, 917th Tactical Fighter Wing, Barksdale AFB, La.
13. November 1990 - December 1994, mobilization assistant to the Commander, Air Force Flight Test Center, Edwards AFB, Calif.
14. December 1994 - October 1997, mobilization assistant to the Commander, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
15. October 1997 - present, mobilization assistant to the Commander, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph AFB, Texas
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 5,000
Aircraft flown: RF-4, T-38, A-37 and A-10
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Flying Cross
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Medal with two silver oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Combat Readiness Medal
Vietnam Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jan. 22,1964
First Lieutenant Sept. 24,1965
Captain Sept. 4,1967
Major April 30,1975
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 26, 1984
Colonel June 1, 1988
Brigadier General Feb. 9, 1994
Major General Feb. 29,1996
(Current as of June 1999)