Brig. Gen. John L. Baldwin is the mobilization assistant to the Deputy Surgeon General, Bolling Air Force Base, D.C. He serves as consultant to the Deputy Surgeon General on Reserve medical affairs and readiness. He advises and recommends programs/policies to improve or enhance the mission of individual mobilization augmentees and Reserve units. He serves as liaison to Reserve medical units, medical schools, major commands, research foundations and other health services. During wartime he assumes an active-duty function of Assistant to the Deputy Surgeon General for Reserve Affairs.
The general began his active-duty military career in 1967. He was commissioned through the ROTC program at the University of Nebraska as a distinguished graduate. He was assigned to the Air Force Institute of Technology with duty station at the University of Nebraska where he received his medical degree in 1971. Upon completion of his internal medicine residency and rheumatology fellowship, he was assigned to an Air Force regional medical center where he served until transferring to the Air Force Reserve in 1980.
In his civilian occupation, he is in private practice in internal medicine and rheumatology.
1967 Bachelor's degree in pharmacy, University of Nebraska, Lincoln
1971 Medical doctor degree, University of Nebraska College of Medicine, Omaha 1983 Flight surgeon training, School of Aerospace Medicine, Brooks AFB, Texas
1990 National Security Management Course, by correspondence
1. August 1967 - June 1971, student, Air Force Institute of Technology, University of Nebraska College of Medicine, Omaha, Neb.
2. July 1971 - June 1974, internal medicine residency, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
3. June 1974 - June 1976, fellowship in rheumatology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle
4. June 1976 - June 1980, staff rheumatologist, U.S. Air Force Medical Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. June 1980 - June 1981, internist, Air Force Reserve, 39th Medical Services Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
6. June 1981 - July 1982, flight surgeon, 446th U.S. Air Force Clinic, McChord AFB, Wash.
7. August 1982 - November 1989, Commander, 39th Aeromedical Staging Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
8. December 1989 - August 1992, Medical Group Commander, 446th Military Airlift Wing, McChord AFB, Wash.
9. August 1992 - August 1993, mobilization assistant to the Commander, Malcom Grow U.S. Air Force Medical Center, Andrews AFB, Md.
10. September 1993 - July 1997, mobilization assistant to the Commander, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
11. July 1997 - February 1999, Command Surgeon, Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
12. February 1999 - present, mobilization assistant to the Deputy Surgeon General, Bolling AFB, D.C.
Rating: Senior flight surgeon
Flight hours: 275
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
1978 Phillip Hench Award for outstanding federal service rheumatologist
1986 Outstanding Air Force Reserve Physician
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
1987 - 1990 Board of Directors, Overlake Hospital Medical Center, Bellevue, Wash
1991 President, Washington State Society of Internal Medicine
1991 - 1992 Chief of Staff, Overlake Hospital Medical Center, Bellevue, Wash.
1991 - present Board of Directors, Overlake Health Care Associates, Bellevue, Wash.
1999 President, King County Medical Society, Seattle, Wash.
Consultant to the Air Force Surgeon General for internal medicine and rheumatology
Clinical Professor of Medicine, University of Washington
Diplomat, American Board of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine
Diplomat, American Board of Internal Medicine, Rheumatology
Fellow, American College of Physicians
Fellow, American College of Rheumatology
Reserve Officers Association
American Society of Internal Medicine
American Medical Association
Washington State Medical Association
Association of Military Surgeons of the United States
Society of Air Force Reserve Flight Surgeons
Aerospace Medical Association
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 3, 1967
First Lieutenant Dec. 3, 1968
Captain June 3, 1970
Major June 3, 1973
Lieutenant Colonel June 3, 1978
Colonel June 1, 1984
Brigadier General Feb. 29, 1996
(Current as of August 1999)