Gen. Maryanne Miller is the Commander, Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Illinois. AMC’s mission is to provide rapid, global mobility and sustainment for America's armed forces. The command also plays a crucial role in providing humanitarian support at home and around the world. The men and women of AMC, consisting of active duty, Air National Guard, Air Force Reserve and civilians, provide airlift, aerial refueling, special air mission, aeromedical evacuation and mobility support.
General Miller was commissioned in 1981 as a distinguished graduate of the ROTC program at Ohio State University. She is a command pilot with more than 4,800 flying hours in numerous aircraft.
The general has commanded two wings and held numerous staff leadership positions at the unit, air staff and joint staff levels. Prior to her current assignment, she was the Chief of Air Force Reserve, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Virginia, and Commander of Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Georgia.
1981 Bachelor of Arts degree in criminal justice (minor in sociology,) Ohio State University, Columbus
1983 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1986 Flight Safety Officer School, Norton AFB, Calif.
1994 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Air War College, by correspondence
2006 Director of Mobility Forces Course, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2009 Senior Reserve Component Officers Course, Army War College, Carlisle, Pa.
2011 Seminar XXI, Center for International Studies, Massachusetts Institute for Technology, Washington D.C.
2011 Master's degree in business administration, Trident University, Calif.
2012 Senior Executives in National and International Security, Harvard Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, Mass.
2017 Senior Joint Information Operations Applications Course, Air University, Curtis E. LeMay Center for Doctrine Development and Education, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. September 1981 - August 1982, Student, undergraduate pilot training, Williams AFB, Ariz.
2. August 1982 - March 1983, Student, pilot instructor training, Randolph AFB, Texas
3. March 1983 - July 1984, T-37 Instructor Pilot and RSU supervisor, Williams AFB, Ariz.
4. July 1984 - January 1985, T-37 Check Pilot and RSU Supervisor, Williams AFB, Ariz.
5. January 1985 - March 1985, Student, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. March 1985 - February 1986, Executive Officer for 96th FTS Commander, T-37 Instructor Pilot, Williams AFB, Ariz.
7. February 1986 - July 1986, Student, distinguished graduate C-141 training, Altus AFB, Okla.
8. July 1986 - July 1987, C-141 Aircraft Commander and Executive Officer for 8th Airlift Squadron Commander, McChord AFB, Wash.
9. July 1987 - June 1988, C-141 Instructor Pilot, 8th Airlift Squadron McChord AFB, Wash.
10. June 1988 - July 1989, Chief of Flying Safety and C-141 Examiner Pilot, McChord AFB, Wash.
11. July 1989 - September 1993, C-141 Examiner Pilot, 313th Airlift Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
12. September 1993 - April 1994, Deputy Operations Group Commander, 459th Airlift Wing, Andrews AFB, Md.
13. April 1994 - October 1995, Operations Officer, 756th Airlift Squadron, Andrews AFB, Md.
14. October 1995 - October 1996, Chief, Strategic Airlift, Reserve Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
15. October 1996 - January 1998, Fighter Forces Programmer, Reserve Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
16. January 1998 - December 2001, Operations Officer and Deputy Operations Group Commander, 459th Airlift Wing, Andrews AFB, Md.
17. December 2001 - May 2004, Air Reserve Technician C-5 pilot, Dover AFB, Del.
18. May 2004 - January 2006, Operations Group Commander, 932nd Airlift Wing, Scott AFB, Ill.
19. January 2006 - January 2008, Commander, 932nd Airlift Wing, Scott AFB, Ill.
20. January 2008 - November 2009, Commander, 349th Air Mobility Wing, Travis AFB, Calif.
21. November 2009 - January 2012, Director of Programs and Requirements, Office of the Air Force Reserve, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
22. January 2012 - September 2013, Deputy Director of Partnership Strategy, J5, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
23. April 2012 - August 2012, Interim Deputy Director for Trans Regional Policy, J5, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
24. September 2013 - July 2016, Deputy to the Chief of Air Force Reserve, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
25. July 2016 - September 2018, Chief of Air Force Reserve, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va., and Commander of AFRC, Robins AFB, Ga.
26. September 2018 - present, Commander, Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. January 2012 - September 2013, Deputy Director of Partnership Strategy, J5, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a brigadier general and a major general
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 4,800
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38, C-141B/C, C-5A/B, C-9A/C, C-40C, KC-10A and C-17
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 12, 1981
First Lieutenant Aug. 30, 1983
Captain Aug. 30, 1985
Major March 5, 1992
Lieutenant Colonel June 13, 1996
Colonel Feb. 17, 2005
Brigadier General June 1, 2009
Major General Jan. 1, 2013
Lieutenant General July 15, 2016
General Sept. 7, 2018
(Current as of September 2018)