Michael Sorrento, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director, Cyber Capabilities and Compliance, Office of Information Dominance and Chief Information Officer, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C. He is responsible for producing prioritized and executable resource investment options; collecting and reporting the $7 billion Air Force information technology (IT) presidential budget; developing and implementing results-oriented governance; establishing compliance criteria where applicable; performing Air Force IT system portfolio management analysis; and facilitating, validating, and reporting compliance with all federal/DoD/Air Force IT policy, Congressional mandates, and legal obligations. He is also the C4 representative on the Air Force Corporate Board.
Mr. Sorrento began his federal career in 1990 as a loan officer for the Small Business Administration’s Disaster Loan Program. He served in numerous supervisory, management, and executive roles prior to being promoted to the Senior Executive Service. During his career, Mr. Sorrento was detailed for several lengthy field duty assignments at various major disaster sites to assist victims of disaster in their recovery efforts including the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, the Northridge earthquake, and hurricanes Hugo, Bob, Marilyn, Georges, Katrina, Rita, and Wilma.
1985 Associate's degree in business administration, Niagara CC College
1987 Bachelor of Science degree in business administration, State University of New York at Buffalo
1989 Master of Business Administration degree, (finance, management, accounting), State University of New York at Buffalo
2005 Leadership for a Democratic Society, the Federal Executive Institute
2007 Lean Six Sigma White Belt Certification – The Performance Institute
1. February 1990 – March 1997, Loan Officer, U.S. Small Business Administration, Niagara Falls, N.Y.
2. March 1997 - November 1998, Senior Loan Officer, U.S. Small Business Administration, Washington, D.C.
3. November 1998 – March 2000, Assistant Area Director for Loan Processing, US Small Business Administration, Niagara Falls, N.Y.
4. March 2000 – May 2004 - Deputy Area Director, US Small Business Administration, Niagara Falls, N.Y.
5. May 2004 – October 2010, Director, DCMS Operation Center, US Small Business Administration, Herndon, Va.
6. October 2010 – August 2014, Chief Information Officer, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, Andrews AFB, Md.
7. September 2014, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Financial Operations, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C
8. September 2014 – present, Director, Cyber Capabilities and Compliance, Office of Information Dominance and Chief Information Officer, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
CIO Council Leadership Award 2008
Outstanding Performance Awards 1992, 1994 -1996, 1998 – 2009
Superior Achievement Awards 1991, 1993, 1997
DoD Civil Liberties Model Programs Award 2014
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
American Council for Technology – Industry Advisory Council
ACT/IAC Partners Class of 2009
Project Management Institute – Washington, D.C. Chapter
Federal Acquisition Certification for Program/Project Managers, Senior/Expert Level
Project Management Professional
DoD Financial Management Certification – Level three
(Current as of February 2015)