Brig. Gen. James E. Daniel, Jr. is the Senior Defense Official and Defense Attaché, Office of Defense Cooperation Turkey, U.S. European Command, Ankara, Turkey. As the Senior Defense Official, he manages all aspects of security assistance and security cooperation programs necessary to sustain the military-to-military relationship between the U.S. and Turkey. He also represents the Secretary of Defense and the Commander, U.S. European Command, as the single U.S. Military point of contact in Turkey. As the Defense Attaché he diplomatically represents the Department of Defense and he is charged with developing harmonious and cooperative relations between the U.S. military and Turkish military and government.
General Daniel earned his commission in 1982 from the Academy of Military Science, Air National Guard Training and Education Center, McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn. He completed undergraduate pilot training in 1987 and has served in numerous assignments and command positions in flying and operations. General Daniel's past positions include Director, Strategic Plans, Policy, National Guard Bureau, J5, Arlington, Virginia and Assistant Adjutant General -Air, Alabama National Guard. He served as Director of Operations and Vice Commander, First Air Force, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla., and deployed as Commander, Kirkuk Airbase and Commander 506th Air Expeditionary Group, Iraq.
Prior to his current assignment, he was Deputy Director, EUCOM J3, European Command Plans and Operations Center where he supervised crisis/contingency planning and resourcing to enable effective response to emergent, expanding and urgent missions including: area Ballistic Missile Defense, United States Government Phased Adaptive Approach for European Ballistic Missile Defense with integration into the North Atlantic Treaty Organization Ballistic Missile Defense, and Cyber, STO, and Space Operations.
The general is a command pilot with more than 3,200 flying hours, primarily in the F-16.
1987 Bachelor of Arts in history, Auburn University, Ala.
1999 Air War College, by correspondence
2006 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2008 Joint Task Force Commanders Course, Peterson AFB, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2009 George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies, Garmisch, Germany
2010 Air Force Smart Operations-21, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
1. August 1982 - June 1986, weapons systems officer, F-4, 160th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 187th Fighter Wing, Alabama Air National Guard, Montgomery, Ala.
2. June 1986 - May 1988, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus Air Force Base, Columbus, Miss.
3. June 1987 - September 1987, student, Fighter Lead in Training, Holloman AFB, N.M.
4. September 1987 - March 1988, student, F-16 Replacement Training Unit, MacDill AFB, Fla.
5. March 1988 - October 1988, alert pilot, F-16, Burlington, Vt.
6. October 1988 - June 1992, Assistant Flight Commander and Squadron Safety and Life Support officer, 160th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 187th FW, Montgomery, Ala.
7. June 1992 - June 1993, current operations officer, ANG Readiness Center, Andrews AFB, Md.
8. June 1993 - March 1994, instructor pilot and Standardization Evaluation Flight examiner, F-16, 160th Fighter Squadron, 187th FW, Montgomery, Ala.
9. March 1994 - February 1997, scheduler, 160th Fighter Squadron, 187th FW, Montgomery, Ala.
10. February 1997 - September 1998, Chief, Standardization Evaluation, 187th FW, Montgomery, Ala.
11. September 1998 - November 2000, Flight Commander, 160th Fighter Squadron, 187th FW, Montgomery, Ala.
12. November 2000 - October 2002, Commander, 160th FS, 187th FW, Montgomery, Ala.
13. October 2002 - May 2003, Vice Commander, 187th FW, Montgomery, Ala.
14. May 2003 - October 2003, Deputy Director, Continental North American Aerospace Defense Command Region Air Operation Center, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
15. October 2003 - August 2004, First Air Force Director of Operations, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
16. August 2004 - August 2006, Vice Commander, First Air Force, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
17. September 2005 - February 2006, Commander, Kirkuk Air Base and 506th Air Expeditionary Group, Kirkuk Air Base, Iraq
18. August 2006 - June 2007, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
19. June 2007 - May 2008, Deputy Director, Doctrine, Training, and Force Development, J7, NGB, Arlington, Virginia
20. May 2008 - April 2009, Assistant Adjutant General - Air, Alabama National Guard, Montgomery, Ala.
21. May 2009 - December 2009, Director for Strategic Plans and Policy (J5) NGB, Arlington, Va.
22. January 2010 - September 2010, ANG assistant to the Commander, First Air Force, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
23. August 2010 - July 2011, Deputy Director for Readiness and Exercises, European Command Plans and Operations Center, Stuttgart-Vaihingen, Germany
24. August 2011 - present, Senior Defense Official/Defense Attaché, Office of Defense Cooperation Turkey, Ankara, Turkey
Commander, Kirkuk Air Base and 506thAir Expeditionary Group, Iraq
Deputy Director, National Guard Bureau J7
Director, National Guard Bureau J5
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 3,200
Aircraft Flown: F-4, F-16, T-38, T-38 A/B
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal
Aerial Achievement Medal with two bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with one bronze service star
Southwest Asia Service Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Armed Forces Services Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold frame
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with silver hourglass, M device and numeral 3
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Aug. 19, 1982
First Lieutenant Aug. 19, 1984
Captain Aug. 19, 1986
Major Feb. 10, 1993
Lieutenant Colonel April13, 1997
Colonel Oct. 6, 2002
Brigadier General May 30, 2008
(Current as of March 2014)