John R. Bartley, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Deputy Director, Acquisition and Program Executive Officer, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. He provides direction and oversight on contracting policy, acquisition strategy development, and program management in support of national level strategic airlift, sealift, and surface mobility readiness programs. He is the acquisition program executive officer and serves as the milestone decision authority for assigned programs
Mr. Bartley is a retired Army major general. He started his Army career by enlisting as an armor crewman. He attended the U.S. Military Academy Preparatory School and graduated from West Point in 1976. As a company- and field-grade officer, he held numerous Armor and Cavalry command and staff positions from platoon up to the division level. His acquisition assignments cover every aspect of Life Cycle Management: requirements generation; design and development; test and evaluation; production and fielding. As a general officer, he was engaged in acquisition and readiness programs from their inception to their execution. His last assignment was to design, stand-up and lead a new Program Executive Office whose mission was to reach across the Army with a mandate to guide the integration and interoperability of the Army's programs of record, current force systems, and other key elements.
1975 Ranger and Airborne
1976 Bachelor's of Science, West Point
1980 Armor Officer Basic and Advanced
1983 British Long Armour Infantry Course
1984 Materiel Acquisition Management
1986 Master's degree in Systems Management - Florida Institute of Technology
1989 Armed Forces Staff College
1990 Program Management Course
1996 U.S. Army War College
1999 Army Force Management
2003 Army Strategic Leadership Development Programs: Basic and Intermediate
2004 Force Integration Course
2004/2008 Army Strategic Leadership Development Programs: Advanced and Intermediate
2011 Army Executive Leadership Program
1. 1976 -1979 Platoon Leader, L Troop, later Executive Officer, K Troop, later S-3 (Air), 3rd Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, Fort Bliss, Texas
2. 1980 -1980 Student, Armor Officer Advanced Course, U.S. Army Armor School, Fort Knox, Ky.
3. 1980 -1982 Assistant S-3 (Operations); later, Commander, A Company, 3rd Battalion, 64th Armor,
3rd Infantry Division, U.S. Army Europe and Seventh Army, Germany
4. 1983 -1983 Student, Long Armor/Infantry Course, Armor School, Royal Armor Corps Centre, England
5. 1984 -1986 Research and Development Coordinator, Mobility Analysis Branch, U.S. Army Materiel Systems Analysis Activity, Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md.
6. 1986 -1988 S-3 (Operations), 3rd Battalion, 63rd Armor, 3rd Infantry Division, U.S. Army Europe and Seventh Army, Germany
7. 1988 -1989 Chief, G-3, Training Division, 3rd Infantry Division, U.S. Army Europe and Seventh Army, Germany
8. 1989 -1990 Student, Armed Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
9. 1990 -1990 Student, Program Management Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
10.1990 -1994 Chief, Force Design Branch; later, Chief, Tank Branch; later, Chief, Maneuver Division, Directorate of Combat Developments, U.S. Armor Center, Fort Knox, Ky.
11.1994 -1996 Commander, 3rd Battalion, 69th Armor, 24th Infantry Division (Mechanized), Fort Stewart, Ga., and Operation Vigilant Warrior, Kuwait
12.1996 -1997 Student, U.S. Army War College, Carlisle Barracks, Penn.
13.1997 -1999 Senior Armor Task Force and Cavalry Squadron Trainer, later Senior Brigade Trainer, Operations Group, U.S. Army National Training Center, Fort Irwin, Calif.
14.1999 -2003 Director, U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command, Program Integration Office, Army Battle Command System, U.S. Army Combined Arms Center, Fort Leavenworth, Kan., and Operation Enduring Freedom, Kuwait
15.2003 -2005 Deputy Program Manager for Program Integration, Future Combat Systems Unit of Action, Warren, Mich.
16.2005 -2008 Program Executive Officer, Combat Support and Combat Service Support, Warren, Mich.
17.2008 -2009 Program Manager, Future Combat Systems (Brigade Combat Team), Hazelwood, Mo.
18.2009 -2011 Program Executive Officer, Integration, Hazelwood, Mo.
19.2012 -present, Deputy Director, Acquisition and Program Executive Officer, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB. Ill.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Distinguished Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with three oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Army Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Program Management, Level III, Acquisition Professional Development Program
Certified Acquisition Corps Member
(Current as of March 2012)