Lt. Gen. Christopher P. Weggeman is the Deputy Commander, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia. He assists the Commander in organizing, training, equipping and maintaining combat-ready forces for rapid deployment and employment while ensuring strategic air defense forces are ready to meet the challenges of peacetime air sovereignty and wartime defense.
The command operates more than 1,300 aircraft, 34 wings, 19 bases, and has more than 70 operating locations worldwide with 98,000 active-duty and civilian personnel. When mobilized, the Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve contribute more than 700 aircraft and 53,000 people to ACC. As the Combat Air Forces lead agent, ACC develops strategy, doctrine, concepts, tactics, and procedures for air- and space-power employment. The command provides conventional and information warfare forces to all unified commands to ensure air, space and information superiority for warfighters and national decision-makers. The command can also be called upon to assist national agencies with intelligence, surveillance and crisis response capabilities.
General Weggeman is a 1987 graduate of Purdue University, where he was commissioned through Air Force ROTC as a distinguished graduate. Prior to this assignment, General Weggeman was the Commander, 24th Air Force and Commander, Air Forces Cyber, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas. He is a combat-proven F-16 pilot who has commanded at the squadron, group, wing, numbered Air Force and Component Commander level.
1987 Bachelor of Science, Biology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind.
1993 Squadron Officer School, Distinguished Graduate, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1994 U.S. Fighter Weapons Instructor Course, Distinguished Graduate, Nellis AFB, Nev.
1996 U.S. Weapons School Instructor Pilot Upgrade Program, Nellis AFB, Nev.
1999 Master of Military Arts and Sciences, Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2006 Master of Science, Strategic Studies with Academic Distinction, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina Kenan-Flagler Business School, Chapel Hill
2012 Combined Joint Forces Air Component Commander's Course, Maxwell AFB. Ala.
2013 Combined Joint Forces Land Component Commander's Course, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
2014 Cyber Operations Executive Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2015 Harvard Cybersecurity Program, Cambridge, Mass.
1. November 1987- December 1988, Student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Distinguished Graduate, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
2. December 1988 - March 1989, Student, Intro to Fighter Fundamentals, Holloman AFB, N.M.
3. March 1989 - October 1989, Student, F-16C Training, MacDill AFB, Fla.
4. October 1989 - June 1994, F-16 Pilot, Hill AFB, Utah
5. June 1994 - January 1995, Student, U.S. Air Force Fighter Weapons Schools, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6. January 1995 - January 1996, Weapons Officer, 35th Fighter Squadron, later, Assistant Chief, Wing Weapons and Tactics, 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
7. January 1996 - June 1998, Instructor, F-16 Division, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, later, Division Scheduler and Assistant Operations Officer, Nellis AFB, Nev.
8. June 1998 - June 1999, Student, Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
9. June 1999 - August 2001, Chief, Joint Strike Fighter Operational Requirements Branch, Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
10. August 2001 - December 2002, Chief, Safety, 388th FW, Hill AFB, Utah
11. December 2002 - July 2003, Operations Officer, 4th FS, Hill AFB, Utah
12. July 2003 - July 2005, Commander, 421st FS, Hill AFB, Utah
13. July 2005 - July 2006, Student, Air War College, Academic Distinction, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. July 2006 - June 2008, Commander, 12th Operations Group, Randolph AFB, Texas
15. June 2008 - July 2010, Director of Staff, U.S. Senior National Representative and Commander, Air Force Element, Allied Air Component Command Headquarters, Ramstein AB, Germany
16. July 2010 - July 2012, Commander, 52nd FW, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
17. July 2012 - June 2014, Deputy Director for Command, Control, Communications and Computers I Cyber, Joint Staff, J6, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
18. June 2014 - June 2015, Deputy Director of Future Operations, U.S. Cyber Command, J3, Fort Meade, Md.
19. June 2015 - June 2016, Director of Plans and Policy, USCYBERCOM, J5, Fort Meade, Md.
20. June 2016 - July 2018 Commander, 24th Air Force, Air Forces Cyber, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas
21. August 2018 - Present, ACC Deputy Commander, JB Langley-Eustis, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. September 2000 - December 2000, J3 Weapons & Tactics Officer, Joint Task Force Southwest Asia, as a lieutenant colonel
2. June 2008 - July 2010, Director of Staff, U.S. Senior National Representative, later, Commander, Air Force Element, Allied Air Component Command Headquarters, Ramstein AB, Germany, as a colonel
3. July 2012 - June 2014, Deputy Director for C4 / Cyber, Joint Staff, J6, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va., as a brigadier general
4. June 2014 - June 2015, Deputy Director of Future Operations, U.S. Cyber Command, J3, Fort Meade, Md., as a brigadier general
5. June 2015 - June 2016, Director, Plans and Policy, USCYBERCOM, J5, Fort Meade, Md., as brigadier and major general
6. June 2016 - July 2018, Commander, USCYBERCOM Joint Forces Headquarters Cyber-Air Force as a major general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 2,800
Aircraft flown: F-16C, F-16D, T-38C, AT-38C, T-6A, AT-38B, T-1A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Distinguished Flying Cross with valor
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant August 13, 1987
First Lieutenant August 13, 1989
Captain August 13, 1991
Major September 1, 1997
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 2000
Colonel February 1, 2006
Brigadier General June 5, 2012
Major General June 24, 2016
Lieutenant General August 21, 2018
(Current as of September 2018)