Brig. Gen. Mark R. August is the Assistant Deputy Director of Operations, Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration for Air Mobility Command. He assists the director for policy and procedures for rapid global mobility air operations and transportation functions assigned to the command.
Prior to joining AMC, the general was the chief of staff to the Director for Logistics, Joint Staff, or J-4.
During his previous assignments, General August was the Commander, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota Air Base, Japan. He served in Southwest Asia as the Commander of the 386th Expeditionary Operations Group; Commander of the 37th Airlift Squadron at Ramstein AB, Germany; Commander of the 737th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron in Southwest Asia; and Instructor Pilot at the U.S. Air Force Weapons School. He also served in support of Joint Endeavor/Joint Guardian and operations Iraqi Freedom, New Dawn and Enduring Freedom. General August is a 1993 graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy.
1993 Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2001 U.S. Air Force Weapons School, C-130 Weapons Instructor Course, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
2003 Master of Arts, Military Studies, American Military University, Va.
2006 Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2007 School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. June 1993 - January 1994, Research Engineer in Electrical Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2. January 1994 - January 1995, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
3. October 1995 - October 1998, Chief Pilot Scheduler, 37th AS, Ramstein AB, Germany
4. October 1998 - October 2001, Chief of Tactics, 41st AS, Pope AFB, N.C.
5. October 2001 - July 2005, Assistant Director of Operations Course Management, 29th Weapons Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
6. July 2005 - June 2006, Student, U.S. Army Command and General Staff Officers Course, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
7. June 2006 - June 2007, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. July 2007 - July 2008, Director of Operations, 37th AS, Ramstein AB, Germany
9. July 2008 - May 2010, Commander, 37th AS, Ramstein AB, Germany
10. July 2010 - June 2011, Student, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2011 - June 2012, Commander, 386th EOG, Southwest Asia
12. June 2012 – June 2014, Commander, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota AB, Japan
13. July 2014 – July 2015, Senior Military Assistant, Defense Technology Security Administration, OSD-P
14. July 2015 – July 2017, Chief of Staff, Joint Staff
15. July 2017 - present, Assistant Deputy Director of Operations, Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Deterrence, AMC, Scott AFB, IL
Rating: Command Pilot
Flying hours: More than 3,500
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-1, C-130E, C-130H, C-130J, C-12J, UH-1N
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
US Air Force General and Mrs. Jerome F. O’Malley Award for Wing Commander and Spouse for 2014, Yokota AB, Japan
US Air Forces in Europe Colonel James Jabara Award Nomination for 2009, Ramstein AB, Germany
21st Air Force Daedalian Award Winner for 2000, Pope AFB, N.C.
USAFWS "Top C-130 Flight Instructor" - Class 2002A, Class 2002B
USAFWS "Best Academic Instructor" - Class 2003B, 2004A, 2004B, 2005A
Brig. Gen. William "Billy" Mitchell Award for Outstanding Cadet in Military Arts and Sciences, U.S. Air Force Academy 1993
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 1993
First Lieutenant June 2, 1995
Captain June 2, 1997
Major August 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel September 1, 2007
Colonel September 1, 2011
Brigadier General July 3, 2018
(Current as of July 2018)