Brig. Gen. Mark R. “Buzz” August is Director, Global Reach Programs, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Virginia. As the capability director, he is responsible to the Air Force acquisition executive for the $5.6 billion airlift, air refueling, training and special operations programs portfolio, which includes KC-46, Presidential Airlift Replacement, Combat Rescue Helicopter, T-7, C-5, C-17, KC-10, KC-135, C-130, CV-22, HH-60, LAIRCM, CNS/ATM, OSA/VIPSAM, T-1, T-38 and T-6.
Brig. Gen. August is a 1993 graduate of the United States Air Force Academy. During his previous assignments, the general was the Commander, 86th Airlift Wing, Ramstein Air Base, Germany and Commander, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota Air Base, Japan. He served in Southwest Asia as the Commander of the 386th Expeditionary Operations Group; Commander of the 37th Airlift Squadron at Ramstein Air Base, Germany; Commander of the 737th Expeditionary Airlift Squadron in Southwest Asia; and Instructor Pilot at the United States Air Force Weapons School. He also served in support of Joint Endeavor/Joint Guardian and operations Iraqi Freedom, New Dawn and Enduring Freedom.
Brig. Gen. August is a command pilot with more than 3,700 flying hours in the T-37, T-1, C-130E, C-130H, C-130J, C-12J, C-37A and UH-1N aircraft.
1993 Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2001 U.S. Air Force Weapons School, C-130 Weapons Instructor Course, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
2003 Masters of Arts, Military Studies, American Military University, Va.
2006 Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2007 School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. June 1993–January 1994, Student, Research Engineer in Electrical Engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2. January 1994–January 1995, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
3. October 1995–October 1998, Chief Pilot Scheduler, 37th Airlift Squadron, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
4. October 1998–October 2001, Chief of Tactics, 41st Airlift Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
5. October 2001–July 2005, Assistant Director of Operations Course Management, 29th Weapons Squadron, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
6. July 2005–June 2006, Student, U.S. Army Command and General Staff Officers Course, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
7. June 2006–June 2007, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. July 2007–July 2008, Director of Operations, 37th Airlift Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
9. July 2008–May 2010, Commander, 37th Airlift Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
10. July 2010–June 2011, Student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2011–June 2012, Commander, 386th Expeditionary Operations Group, Southwest Asia
12. June 2012–June 2014, Commander, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota AB, Japan
13. July 2014–July 2015, Senior Military Assistant, Defense Technology Security Administration, OSD-P
14. July 2015–July 2017, Chief of Staff, Joint Staff, Directorate for Logistics, J-4
15. July 2017–August 2018, Deputy Director of Operations, Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Deterrence, 16. Air Mobility Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
17. August 2018–August 2020, Commander, 86th Airlift Wing, Ramstein AB, Germany
18. August 2020–present, Director, Global Reach Programs, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisitions, Technology, and Logistics, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2014–July 2015, Senior Military Assistant and Chief of Staff, Defense Technology Security Administration, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Policy, as a colonel
2. July 2015–July 2017, Chief of Staff, Joint Staff, Directorate for Logistics, J-4, as a colonel
Rating: command pilot
Flying hours: more than 3,500
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-1, C-130E, C-130H, C-130J, C-12J, C-37A and UH-1N
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
2014 USAF General and Mrs. Jerome F. O’Malley Award (Wing Commander and Spouse)
2009 USAFE Colonel James Jabara Award
2000 21st Air Force Daedalian Award
1993 Brig. Gen. William “Billy” Mitchell Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 1993
First Lieutenant June 2, 1995
Captain June 2, 1997
Major Aug. 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 2007
Colonel Sept. 1, 2011
Brigadier General July 3, 2018
(Current as of September 2020)