Brig. Gen. Michael G. Koscheski is the Director of Operations, Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration, Headquarters United States Air Forces in Europe and Air Forces Africa, Ramstein Air Base, Germany. Brig. Gen. Koscheski oversees a headquarters staff and the 603rd Air Operations Center providing integrated air and missile defense, aeromedical evacuation, space and cyberspace operations, aerial refueling, weather, combat aerial delivery, operational support airlift and distinguished visitor airlift, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance and precision strike in the European and African Commands.
Brig. Gen. Koscheski received his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1992. He has served as an F-15E Instructor Pilot, Weapons Officer and Flight Examiner. He is a command pilot with more than 2,800 flying hours in the T-37, T-38, AT-38, F-15E and A-10C. He has flown more than 650 combat hours over Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan. He has commanded at the squadron, group and wing levels and staff assignments include duty at Air Combat Command, the Joint Staff and Air Staff.
1992 Bachelor of Science, Management, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1995 Master of Business Administration, City University, Seattle
1999 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2001 U.S. Air Force Weapons School, F-15E Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2005 U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2006 School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2011 Joint Forces Staff College, Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Norfolk, Va.
2011 Seminar XXI Program, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
2012 Secretary of Defense Corporate Fellowship Program, Northrop Grumman Corporation, Baltimore
2018 Cyberspace Operations Executive Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2018 Capstone General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Washington, D.C
2019 Combined Force Air Component Commander Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. June 1992–March 1995, Missile Operations, Minot Air Force Base, N.D.
2. April 1995–August 1996, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training and Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. September 1996–May 1997, Student, F-15E Qualification Training, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
4. June 1997–July 2000, Chief, Precision-Engagement Division, 335th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
5. August 2000–June 2001, Chief, Squadron Scheduling, 494th Fighter Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, United Kingdom
6. July 2001–December 2001, Student, F-15E Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. January 2002–September 2003, Weapons and Tactics Fighter Commander, 48th Operations Support Squadron RAF Lakenheath, U.K.
8. October 2003–June 2004, Assistant Director of Operations, 494th Fighter Squadron, RAF Lakenheath, U.K.
9. July 2004–June 2005, Student, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
10. July 2005–June 2006, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. July 2006–September 2007, Chief, Strategy Branch, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis AFB, Va.
12. October 2007–March 2008, Director of Operations, 389th Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
13. April 2008–August 2009, Commander, 389th Fighter Squadron, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
14. September 2009–June 2011, Chief, Detainee Affairs & Personnel Recovery Division, Deputy Directorate for Special Operations/Counter-Terrorism, Joint Staff, Arlington, Va.
15. July 2011–June 2012, Fellow, Secretary of Defense Corporate Fellowship Program, Northrop Grumman Corporation, Baltimore
16. July 2012–July 2014, Commander, 4th Operations Group, Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.
17. August 2014–April 2015, Director of Operations, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, Operations Directorate, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
18. May 2015–May 2016, Commander, 332nd Air Expeditionary Wing, Southwest Asia
19. June 2016–July 2017, Chief, Strategic Planning Integration Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
20. August 2017–July 2018, Director, Aircrew Crisis Task Force, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
21. August 2018–June 2019, Director of Plans, Programs and Analyses for Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe and U.S. Air Forces Africa, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
22. June 2019–present, Director of Operations, Strategic Deterrence and Nuclear Integration for Headquarters U.S Air Forces in Europe and U.S Air Forces Africa, Ramstein AB, Germany
Rating: command pilot
Flight Hours: more than 2,800
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, AT-38, F-15E and A-10C
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1992
First Lieutenant May 27, 1994
Captain May 27, 1996
Major Jan. 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2006
Colonel Oct. 1, 2010
Brigadier General July 4, 2017
(Current as of August 2019)