Maj. Gen. Steven J. Berryhill is the mobilization assistant to the U.S. Transportation Command commander.
The son of an Air Force combat rescue helicopter pilot, Maj. Gen. Berryhill began his career with a commission through Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps. He entered undergraduate pilot training in October 1980 at Vance Air Force Base, Oklahoma.
General Berryhill has served in various positions with the Air Force including KC-135A pilot and KC-135A/R instructor pilot prior to joining the Alabama Air National Guard, Birmingham, in 1996. He was assigned to the 117th Operations Group as an evaluator pilot flying the KC-135R and subsequently served as commander, 106th Air Refueling Squadron and commander, 117th Operations Group prior to his assignment as commander, 117th Air Refueling Wing, Alabama Air National Guard and assistant to the commander, 18th Air Force, Scott AFB, Ill. Prior to his current assignment, he was deputy director of Operations and Plans, USTRANSCOM, Scott Air Force Base, Illinois.
Maj. Gen. Berryhill, a decorated pilot with more than 8,000 flying hours, has been awarded five Air Medals.
1982 Bachelor of Science in Energy Resource Management, Lamar University, Beaumont, Texas
1985 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1990 Master’s degree in aero science technology, Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, Castle AFB, Calif.
1995 Air Command Staff College, by correspondence
1999 Air War College, by correspondence
2014 Senior Executive Fellowship, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. October 1980 – October 1981, student Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
2. November 1981 – March 1982, student Combat Crew Training, KC-135C, Castle Air Force Base. Calif.
3. April 1982 – July 1988, Co-Pilot, Aircraft Commander and Instructor Pilot, KC-135A, 920th Air Refueling Heavy Squadron, Wurtsmith Air Force Base, Mich.
4. August 1988 – September 1993, instructor pilot, aircraft commander, instructor pilot, flight commander and Operations officer, KC-135, Castle Air Force Base, Calif.
5. October 1993 - April 1996, director, KC-135 SATAF, 97th Air Mobility Wing, Altus Air Force Base, Okla.
6. May 1996 – April 1997, evaluator pilot, KC-135R, 117th Operation Group, Alabama Air National Guard, Birmingham, Ala.
7. May 1997 – December 2005, evaluator pilot, KC-135, flight commander, Operations officer, commander, 106th Air Refueling Squadron, Alabama Air National Guard, Birmingham, Ala.
8. January 2006 – December 2007, commander, 117th Operations Group, Alabama Air National Guard, Birmingham, Ala.
9. January 2008 – March 2012, Wing commander, 117th Air Refueling Wing, Alabama Air National Guard, Birmingham, Ala.
10. April 2012 – May 2016, commander, Headquarters, Alabama Air National Guard, Montgomery, Ala. and assistant to the commander, 18th Air Force, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
11. June 2016 – April 2017 deputy director of Operations and Plans, USTRANSCOM, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
12. April 2017 – present, mobilization assistant to the USTRANSCOM commander, Scott Air Force Base, III. October 1980 – October 1981, Student Pilot, Class 8201, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight Hours: More than 8,000
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, KC-135A, KC-135R
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with six oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with Bronze Star
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two ‘M’ devices
Small Arms Marksmanship Ribbon with Bronze Star
Air Force Training Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant May 10, 1980
First Lieutenant Oct. 29, 1982
Captain Oct. 29, 1984
Major Jan. 1, 1993
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 27, 1994
Colonel Dec. 27, 2005
Brigadier General April 15, 2012
Major General April 17, 2017
(Current as of August 2017)