Brig. Gen. Keith M. Givens is the Commander, Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI), Quantico, Virginia. As the AFOSI Commander, General Givens derives his independent criminal investigative authority directly from the Secretary of the Air Force. AFOSI is a field operating agency under the administrative guidance and oversight of the Inspector General of the Air Force. It is a federal law enforcement agency with responsibility for conducting criminal investigations, counterintelligence and specialized investigative activities, protective service operations, and integrated force protection for the Air Force. AFOSI is also a combat-ready military organization that provides the Air Force a wartime capability to conduct counter-threat operations to find, fix, track, and neutralize enemy threats in hostile and uncertain environments. AFOSI is the Air Force’s focal point for working with U.S. and foreign nation law enforcement and security services in order to provide timely and accurate threat information in all environments. The activities of AFOSI are conducted by a worldwide network of over 2,000 military and civilian special agents stationed at major Air Force installations and a variety of worldwide special operating locations.
General Givens entered the Air Force in 1986 as a distinguished graduate of Air Force ROTC program at Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania. He has spent the majority of his career as a special agent of the AFOSI where he has conducted and supervised felony-level criminal, fraud, and counterintelligence investigations and operations. He has commanded at the detachment, squadron and wing levels. His assignments have included four overseas postings. Prior to his current assignment, General Givens served as the Director, Special Investigation, Office of the Inspector General, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C. He led the directorate in developing and implementing all Air Force-level plans and policies concerning criminal investigations and counterintelligence operations.
1986 Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, Slippery Rock University, Slippery Rock, Penn.
1994 Master of Science, Human Resource Management Systems, Chapman University, Orange, Calif.
1995 Master of Forensic Sciences, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2001 Master of Aerospace and Leadership Studies, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Master of National Security Studies, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. August 1987 - June 1989, Special Agent, AFOSI Detachment 516, Scott AFB, Ill.
2. June 1989 - June 1991, Chief, Counterintelligence Collections Branch and Operations Officer, AFOSI Detachment 4240, Clark AB, Philippines
3. July 1991 - July 1994, Commander, AFOSI Detachment 307, Plattsburgh AFB, NY (Deployed AFOSI Commander, Operation RESTORE HOPE, Mogadishu, Somalia, December 1992-March 1993)
4. August 1994 - August 1995, Student in Forensic Medicine, Air Force Institute of Technology, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
5. August 1995 - July 1998, European Regional Forensic Consultant, AFOSI, Royal Air Force Mildenhall, England
6. July 1998 - June 2000, Executive Officer to the Commander, Headquarters AFOSI, Andrews AFB, Md.
7. August 2000 - July 2001, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
8. July 2001 - April 2003, Commander, AFOSI Detachment 531, Aviano AB, Italy
9. April 2003 - July 2005, Commander, AFOSI 53rd Field Investigations Squadron, Aviano Air Base, Italy
10. July 2005 - June 2006, Student, National War College, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2006 - June 2007, Chief, U.S. Central Command J2X-Forward/Joint Counterintelligence Support Element, Camp As Sayliyah, Qatar
12. June 2007 - December 2007, Director of Staff, Headquarters AFOSI, Andrews AFB, Md.
13. December 2007 - May 2010, Commander, AFOSI 7th Field Investigations Region, Andrews AFB, Md.
14. May 2010 - May 2012, Vice Commander, Headquarters AFOSI, Quantico, Va.
15. May 2012 - May 2014, Director, Special Investigations, Office of the Inspector General, Headquarters Air Force, the Pentagon, Va.
16. May 2014 - present, Commander, Headquarters AFOSI, Quantico, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
June 2006 - June 2007, Chief, USCENTCOM J2X-Forward/Joint Counterintelligence Support Element, Camp As Sayliyah, Qatar, as a lieutenant colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with oak leaf cluster
Southwest Asia Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 10, 1986
First Lieutenant May 10, 1988
Captain May 10, 1990
Major Sept. 1, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 2002
Colonel Aug. 1, 2007
Brigadier General May 30, 2014
(Current as of June 2015)