Terry A. Yonkers is the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Installations, Environment and Logistics, Washington, D.C. Mr Yonkers is responsible for providing oversight for all matters pertaining to the formulation, review, and execution of plans, policies, programs, and budgets for installations, energy, environment, safety and occupational health as well as weapon systems logistics support.
Mr. Yonkers was born and raised in Hemet, Calif. He has more than 35 years experience developing and managing environmental, safety and occupational health programs. This includes 22 years in government and more than 16 years in private industry. Mr. Yonkers has worked extensively within the Department of Defense's planning, programming, budgeting and resource allocation as well as congressional budgeting processes. As the acting Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Environment, Safety and Occupational Health, he developed strategic policies, guided and oversaw Air Force's ESOH programs worldwide and a $1.5 billion annual appropriation.
As Senior Vice President, Business Development, ARCADIS, Inc., Mr. Yonkers advised government clients on innovative and cost-saving environmental and energy security solutions as well as represented business interests in national forums seeking process improvements to environmental security, energy security, climate change, environmental cleanup/compliance and property redevelopment.
1972 Bachelor of Science degree in biology, University of California, Riverside
1973 Advanced degree in education, University of California, Riverside
1993 Master's degree in national security studies, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1999 Program for Executives, Carnegie Melon University
2000 Seminars in International Relations and National Security, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
2001 Master of Public Administration degree, George Mason University, Washington, D.C.
1. 1976 - 1980, biologist, Southern California Edison Company, Corporate Headquarters, Rosemead, Calif.
2. 1980 - 1984, environmental coordinator, Air Force Flight Test Center, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.
3. 1984 - 1985, regulatory liaison and environmental engineer, Air Force Regional Civil Engineering Office, Dallas, Texas
4. 1986 - 1990, Deputy Director Environmental Programs, Air Force Systems Command, Andrews AFB, Md.
5. 1990 - 1996, Deputy Director and Chief of Environmental Programs, Air Force Base Conversion Agency, Arlington, Va.
6. 1996 - 2000, special assistant to the Assistant Secretary, Manpower, Reserve Affairs, Installations and Environment, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
7. 2000 - 2002, acting Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Environment, Safety and Occupational Health, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
8. 2002 - 2010, Senior Vice President, Business Development, ARCADIS, Inc., Highlands Ranch, Colo.
9. 2010 - present, Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Installations, Environment and Logistics, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
2002 Air Force Outstanding Civilian Service Award
2002 Letter of Recognition from the Secretary of Air Force
(Current as of March 2010)