Brig. Gen. Lance Landrum is the Deputy Director for Requirements and Capability Development (J8), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Virginia. He is responsible for assisting the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in identifying, assessing and approving joint military requirements to meet the national military strategy, and ensuring the consideration of trade-offs between cost, schedule and performance objectives for those requirements. In this role, the general orchestrates Joint Staff support of the capabilities development process through the Joint Capabilities Integration and Development System. He also oversees the validation of Joint Urgent Operational Needs leading to the fielding of rapid solutions for Combatant Commanders. Additionally, as the Chair of the Force Application Functional Capabilities Board, he oversees and advocates for changes to the maneuver and engagement capabilities of the Force Application Joint Capability Area.
General Landrum earned his commission in May 1992 from the U.S. Air Force Academy. He has held a variety of positions in F-16 fighter operations at the squadron, group and wing levels. He is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Weapons School, commanded the 510th Fighter Squadron, Aviano Air Base, Italy, and the 332nd Expeditionary Operations Group, Joint Base Balad, Iraq. The general also commanded the 388th Fighter Wing, Hill Air Force Base, Utah and the 31st FW, Aviano AB, Italy. His duties have included previous assignments to the Pentagon as the Aide de Camp for the U.S. Air Force Chief of Staff and the Director of the U.S. Air Force Colonels Management Office.
General Landrum is a command pilot with more than 2,800 flying hours, including 397 combat hours.
1992 Bachelor of Science, Engineering Mechanics, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2001 Masters in Aeronautical Science, Management, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2001 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2003 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2010 Master of Science, Strategic Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. August 1992 - September 1993, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
2. October 1993 - December 1993, Student, Fighter Lead-in Training, 49th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
3. January 1994 - December 1994, F-16 Student, Replacement Training Unit, 61st Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
4. December 1994 - December 1995, F-16 Pilot, Assistant Weapons Officer, Scheduler, 36th FS, Osan Air Base, South Korea
5. January 1996 - August 1998, F-16 Instructor Pilot, Assistant Weapons Officer, Scheduler, 4th FS, Hill AFB, Utah
6. January 1999 - June 1999, F-16 Student, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. June 1999 - March 2002, F-16 Instructor Pilot, Chief of Weapons, 310th FS, Luke AFB, Ariz.
8. March 2002 - June 2003, F-16 Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
9. July 2003 - September 2005, Aide to the Chief of Staff, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
10. November 2005 - June 2009, 31st Fighter Wing Chief of Plans, 555th FS Operations Officer, 510th FS Commander, Aviano AB, Italy
11. July 2009 - May 2010, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. June 2010 - June 2011, Commander, 332nd Expedition Operations Group, Joint Base Balad, Iraq
13. August 2011 - June 2013, Senior Military Advisor, U.S. Mission to NATO
14. June 2013 - June 2015, Commander, 388th FW, Hill AFB, Utah
15. July 2015 - June 2016, Director of the U.S. Air Force Colonels Management office, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
16. June 2016 ‐ June 2018, Commander, 31st FW, Aviano AB, Italy
17. July 2018 – present, Deputy Director for Requirements and Capability Development (J8), the Joint Staff, Arlington, Va.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 2,800
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1992
First Lieutenant May 27, 1994
Captain May 27, 1996
Major Nov. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel, Dec 1, 2006
Colonel Oct. 1, 2010
Brigadier General Aug. 12, 2016
(Current as of October 2018)