Brig. Gen. William R. Kountz is the Director of Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins Air Force Base, Georgia. As director, he leads a staff of 234 personnel across five divisions and advocates a budget of $1.5 billion. He is responsible for the policy, budget, strategy and oversight of AFRC's maintenance, munitions, supply, transportation, civil engineering and force protection functions. He is responsible for organizing, training and equipping the command's in-garrison and expeditionary agile combat support of more than 38,700 personnel assigned to 34 wings across the United States. He provides direction and oversight to maintain and support more than 320 fighter, special mission, bomber, tanker and airlift aircraft. He is also responsible for determining requirements, planning, programming, designing and constructing facilities at nine primary and 57 tenant locations with a $7.2 billion average plant replacement value. Additionally, he maintains combat ready security forces units for rapid deployment and employment worldwide.
Brig. Gen. Kountz, a native of Columbus, Ohio, enlisted in active military service with the Air Force in 1983 as an aircraft weapons systems technician working on A-10 thunderbolt II, F-4 Phantom II and F-16 Fighting Falcon aircraft. In 1993, he was selected for a direct commission as an Aircraft Maintenance Officer.
The general held maintenance and logistics assignments at the wing, major command and headquarters Air Force levels and has commanded squadrons, groups and centers. He is a logistics and maintenance professional with experience on C-5 Galaxy, C-130H Hercules, F-16, HH-60 Pave Hawk, F-4, MQ-1 Predator and A-10 aircraft.
1992 Bachelor of Science, Logistic Management, Park College, Mo.
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2010 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2012 Masters of Arts, Transportation and Logistics Management, American Military University, Va.
2016 Program for Executives in Logistics and Technology, University of North Carolina
2017 Capstone General and Flag Officer Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair,
2018 Leadership Decision Making, Harvard University John F. Kennedy School, Cambridge, Mass.
1. February 1983-May 1987, Weapons System Technician, 354th Aircraft Generation Squadron, 356th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, Myrtle Beach Air Force Base, S.C.
2. May 1987-December 1991, Loading Standardization Crew, 906th Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. December 1991 - July 1993, Noncomissioned Officer in Charge of Plans, Scheduling and Documentation, 906th Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Unit, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. July 1993-August 1996, AMU OIC, 93rd Fighter Squadron, Homestead Air Reserve Base, Fla.
5. August 1996-August 1998, Squadron Maintenance Officer, 93rd FS, Homestead ARB, Fla.
6. August 1998-September 2000, Commander, 482nd Maintenance Squadron, Homestead ARB, Fla.
7. September 2000-September 2002, Commander, 911th MXS, Pittsburgh ARB, Pa.
8. September 2002-December 2006, Deputy Commander, 301st Maintenance Group, Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, Texas
9. December 2006-August 2009, Commander, 301st MXG, NAS JRB Fort Worth, Texas
10. August 2009-July 2011, Commander, 439th MXG, Westover ARB, Mass.
11. July 2011-November 2013, Chief, Aircraft Maintenance Division, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
12. November 2013-January 2015, Deputy Director of Logistics, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
13. January 2015-October 2017, Associate Director of Logistics, Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Engineering and Security Forces, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
14. October 2017-January 2019, Commander, Force Generation Center, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
15. January 2019-present, Director of Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with three oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Good Conduct Medal
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with four “M” devices
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 2, 1993
First Lieutenant July 2, 1995
Captain Dec. 24, 1997
Major May 6, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Aug.17, 2006
Colonel March 2, 2011
Brigadier General May 17, 2016
(Current as of July 2019)