Official Site of the U.S. Air Force   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

News > Defense secretary orders review of UCMJ, AF courts-martial outcome
Defense secretary orders review of UCMJ, AF courts-martial outcome

Posted 3/13/2013 Email story   Print story

    


by Master Sgt. Jess D. Harvey
Air Force Public Affairs


3/13/2013 - WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- Defense officials announced March 12 that Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel has directed two separate reviews to ensure that the U.S. military justice system is appropriately protecting victims of sexual assault as well as dispensing justice to the accused, said Pentagon Press Secretary George Little March 13 here.

This stems from a case against Lt. Col. James Wilkerson, who was found guilty last year of sexual assault by a panel of military officers at Aviano Air Base, Italy.

Lt. Gen. Craig Franklin, the 3rd Air Force commander, exercised his authority as a convening authority under Article 60 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, reviewed the case over a three-week period, and dismissed the charges against Wilkerson. The general concluded the evidence presented at trial did not amount to proof beyond a reasonable doubt, and he declined to approve the conviction.

Dismissing charges like this is rare, officials said, but not unheardof. Article 60 states that a convening authority may, in his sole discretion, set aside a finding of guilty and dismiss any charge or specification.

As a function of military command, since the Revolutionary War, military court-martial convening authorities have possessed the authority to disapprove court-martial findings.

"The secretary has directed the secretary of the Air Force, in coordination with the department's general counsel, to immediately review this case, to assess whether all aspects of the UCMJ were correctly applied and to make recommendations on how the convening authority's decision in the case could be made more transparent," said Little, who is also the Assistant to the Defense Secretary for Public Affairs. A report on this is due by March 20.

The secretary of Defense directed the general counsel to consult with the secretaries of the Army, Navy and Air Force and to provide an assessment of whether changes should be considered in Article 60 or in the services' implementation of Article 60.

This assessment, along with any changes that should be considered, is due by March 27.

Under the UCMJ, the convening authority oversees the fair administration of military justice throughout every stage of the court-martial process, similar to that of an impartial judicial officer.

During the post-trial review of a court-martial, the convening authority continues his impartial position and the accused has a right to an individualized and careful review of the findings and sentence.

The convening authority is required to review the record of the trial proceedings, including a verbatim transcript( and post-trial submissions presented by the accused in matters of extenuation and mitigation.

After careful review, the convening authority has the power to approve or disapprove the findings and also to set aside or modify the findings and the sentence.

"Secretary Hagel is determined to make sure the military legal system works effectively," Little said. "If the reviews he has called for find that, in this case, it did not work, then he is committed to making any and all necessary changes."

"(Hagel) has made it clear, in his earliest meetings and in no uncertain terms to the Department of Defense's senior leadership, that eliminating sexual assault from the military is one of his top priorities," Little said. "He believes that sexual assault is a serious crime that has no place in this department, and he will not tolerate it. He also believes that any member of the military that is convicted of sexual assault, no matter the individual's rank or position, must be held appropriately accountable."

Wilkerson was removed from the colonel's promotion list by the secretary of the Air Force Jan. 14, and his next assignment is undetermined at this point. Even though charges, along with the courts-martial's finding of guilt and ensuing sentence, were dismissed, reinstatement of an individual's name to the promotion list is not automatic.

Following procedures detailed in AFI 36-2603, "Air Force Correction of Military Records," any individual who has been removed from a promotion list may submit an application to the Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records.



tabComments
3/16/2013 2:18:13 PM ET
I served under Lt Gen Franklin at Joint Base Balad Iraq. Without question one of the finest commanders I have served with in 17 years. I trust his judgement and I hope that politicians bent on making an example will find evidence that he executed his duties admirably. Gen Franklin is not a good old boy and I am confident that he had very good cause to overturn the ruling...I only hope that the truth comes out.I understand the incendiary nature of the claims against him but really....I think some politicians need to recognize that our leaders are promoted because they have shown the potential and ability to lead...not because they were elected. Our leaders rise through the gauntlet to lead...I think politicians should be mindful of that when they make claims to the contrary with no evidence.
Red Tail, JB Balad iraq
 
3/15/2013 10:48:58 AM ET
The fact remains that this Lt Col was found guilty by a jury of his peers who heard all of the evidence. Sorry but it is not a decision that Lt Gen Franklin should have nullified. An appeals process is there for military just as in the civilian courts in the event there was a miscarriage of justice. This is a huge slap in the face for the woman that was sexually assualted.
AFRetiree, Undisclosed
 
3/15/2013 9:18:01 AM ET
Jerry from Oklahoma I think you may look into how the DoD handles these types of cases. Almost all these criminals go free and the victims are left with a their service ignoring them. Take a look at the documatary called The Invisible War Rape in the US Military.
Mark, Oklahoma
 
3/14/2013 6:24:52 PM ET
Interfering in the judicial process is not moral courage. Appeal avenues were available to the lieutenant colonel who was convicted by a panel of his fellow officers. General Franklin should have allowed that process to play out and reveal any actual irregularities in the court-martial itself.
PB, US
 
3/14/2013 1:56:18 PM ET
Not having studied the facts of this case I have to give LG Franklin the benefit of the doubt. He was the base commander at JB Balad when I was there in 2010 and I found him to be an impressive leader. He had to know he was jeopardizing his future prospects by doing this and he must have had powerful reasons for his decision. It is shameful for politicians to inject themselves into this case without the facts.
MSgt Bill Brockman ret, Atlanta GA
 
3/14/2013 1:31:22 PM ET
Gen Franklin is as much of a stand-up GO as I've ever met. That must have been the toughest call of his life knowing full well the implications of that decision. That is some fierce moral courage right there. I don't know that I would ever be able to muster that kind of courage. Must be why he gets paid the big bucks You don't get to that rank by being incompetent or weak.
F, Northern Tier
 
3/14/2013 11:02:11 AM ET
While I support establishing an independent prosecuter for sexual assault cases I just don't see how the 3 AF commander did anything wrong. Commanders need and deserve certain latitude in their positions. I equate the 3 AFCC's decision to set aside the jury's verdict to a courtroom judge's ability to do the same. While sexual assault is a definite problem in our military today there is nothing scandalous or outrageous in this decision.
NJ, MacDill
 
3/14/2013 9:11:10 AM ET
The continued reliance on a system which allows the military chain of command--rather than an independent criminal justice system--to determine the outcome of criminal cases is incompatible with the stated zero-tolerance policy regarding sexual assault. Kudos to Secretary Hagel.
Dean Vinson, Ohio
 
3/14/2013 8:45:11 AM ET
A very difficult situation. I hate to see any railroaded but I also want to see justice done. Sexual assault seems to be one crime where the Department of Defense takes a guilty until proven innocent attitude but it is also a very serious crime. You also have the problem of would the general have reached the same decision if the accused would have been a Senior Airman Probably not. In the Air Force there is a perceived double standard in justice for officer and enlisted.
Jerry, Oklahoma
 
Add a comment

 Inside AF.mil

ima cornerSearch

tabSubscribe AF.MIL
tabMore HeadlinesRSS feed 
CSAF to sponsor 3 captains for PhD program

Davis-Monthan Airmen work to end veteran homelessness by 2015

Jennies to jets to stealth: Bomb wing turns 90

Concentration camp survivor to fighter pilot: 'Freedom a beautiful thing'  5

Wounded warriors adapt, overcome at Andrews sports camp

Pilots, combat systems officers may be eligible for retention incentives   2

Alert Reaper Airmen find IED  1

Luke AFB F-16 crashes, pilots safely eject  4

AF drops 50,000 plus gallons of retardant on Colorado fires

352nd SOG welcomes Osprey to fleet

SecDef: DOD welcomes Supreme Court decision  37

Weather warns warriors, saves services silver  1

Squadron's lone female gunner aims high  4

Flight engineer reaches combat sortie milestone  4

tabCommentaryRSS feed 
Our commitment, our community

'Lucky' people take personal responsibility for their own success  16


Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention      Sexual Assault Awareness & Prevention     FOIA     IG   EEO