J. Michael Kretzer, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Technical Director, 688th Cyberspace Wing (688th CW), Joint Base San Antonio Lackland , Texas. In this position, Mr. Kretzer assists the commander by providing technical guidance and reviewing, evaluating and formulating policies, as well as developing concepts and objectives governing the mission of the wing. The 688th IOW is a subordinate unit of 24th Air Force and Air Force Space Command and is responsible for executing the information warfare, and command and control warfare capabilities supporting operations, campaign planning, and acquisition and testing. The wing comprises more than 1,500 military and civilian personnel trained in operations, engineering, operations research, intelligence, installation, communications and computer applications.
Mr. Kretzer entered civil service in November 1982 following seven years of active duty as an Air Force officer. He began his civilian career as an electronics engineer specializing in communications with Electronic Security Command at Kelly AFB, Texas. Mr. Kretzer has served at various positions within Air Intelligence Agency and its predecessor units. His positions have included communications engineer, electronics engineer, program manager, division chief and director. Mr. Kretzer also served in the Air Force Reserve and retired in the rank of lieutenant colonel.
1975 Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering technology, Bradley University, Peoria, Ill.
1976 Communications-Electronics Engineer Course, honor graduate, Keesler AFB, Miss.
1977 Digital Wideband Communications Course, Scott AFB, Ill.
1980 Distinguished graduate, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1983 Systems Engineering Management Course, Rock Island Arsenal, Rock Island, Ill.
1984 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1990 Master of Science degree in management, Stanford University, Stanford, Calif.
1993 Intermediate Systems Engineering Course, Brooks AFB, Texas
1996 Senior Reserve Officer Cryptologic Course, National Cryptologic School, National Security Agency, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
2000 Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
2005 Intelligence Community Executive Leader Program, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill.
2010 Cyber Operations Transition Course, by correspondence
1. September 1975 - March 1976, student, Communications-Electronics Engineer Course, Keesler AFB, Miss.
2. March 1976 - June 1976, student, Wideband System Test and Evaluation Course, Richards-Gebaur AFB, Mo.
3. June 1976 - July 1977, systems engineer, Pirincilik CDI, Turkey
4. July 1977 - October 1979, wideband communications evaluation team chief, Headquarters European Communications Area, Kapaun Barracks, West Germany
5. October 1979 - November 1982, communications systems engineer, Airborne Systems Division, Directorate of System Engineering, Electronic Security Command, Kelly AFB, Texas
6. November 1982 - April 1984, electronic engineer, Airborne Systems Division, Directorate of System Engineering, Electronic Security Command, Kelly AFB, Texas
7. April 1984 - July 1987, senior electronics engineer, Special Project Division, Operations Plans Directorate, Electronic Security Command, Kelly AFB, Texas
8. July 1987 - October 1992, Chief, Operational Systems Division, Operations Support Directorate, Electronic Security Command, Kelly AFB, Texas
9. October 1992 - January 1995, Chief, Operations Support Division, Directorate of Signals Intelligence Operations, Air Force Cryptologic Support Center, Kelly AFB, Texas
10. January 1995 - July 1997, Director, Office of Technology Management, Air Force Information Warfare Center, Kelly AFB, Texas
11. July 1997 - March 1999, Chief, Advanced Concepts Division, Information Systems Directorate, Air Force Information Warfare Center, Kelly AFB, Texas
12. March 1999 - July 2001, Technical Director, Air Force Information Warfare Center, Kelly AFB, Texas
13. July 2001 - September 2006, Technical Director, Air Force Information Warfare Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
14. October 2006 - August 2009, Technical Director, Air Force Information Operations Center, Lackland AFB, Texas
15. August 2009 - September 2013, Technical Director, 688th Information Operations Wing, Joint Base San Antonio - Lackland, Texas
16. September 2013 – present, Technical Director, 688th Cyberspace Wing, Joint Base San Antonio - Lackland, Texas
AWARDS AND HONORS
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
1990 Sloan Fellow
1994 and 2001 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2005 Meritorious Senior Professional Presidential Rank Award
2007 Distinguished Senior Professional Presidential Rank Award
2012 Distinguished Senior Professional Presidential Rank Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Association of Old Crows
Air Force Association
Acquisition Professional in Program Management, Level II
Systems Planning, Research, Development and Engineering, Level III
Systems Planning, Research, Development and Engineering (Science and Technology Manager), Level III
Acquisition Professional in Test and Evaluation, Level I
(Current as of March 2014)