John M. "Mike" Gipson, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Associate Director, Capability and Resource Integration, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb. His directorate is responsible for conducting force management and analysis, to include integrating, coordinating, prioritizing and advocating USSTRATCOM future concepts, mission capability needs, weapons system development, support for emerging technologies and command and control architecture across the mission areas. He is also responsible for the articulation and development of all command requirements processes to ensure USSTRATCOM has the tools to accomplish its mission, and ensures appropriate decision support tools and assessment processes are in place to enhance operational capabilities. The directorate includes comptroller support, concepts, and experimentation and force assessments.
Mr. Gipson was born in Gadsden, Ala., and grew up in an Air Force family. He received his commission through the Air Force ROTC program, and graduated from Auburn University in 1968. After completing the Air Intelligence Officer Training Course at Lowry AFB, Colo., in 1969, he reported to his first assignment with Headquarters 13th Air Force, Philippines. He received a Master of Science degree in 1989 from Troy State University.
Mr. Gipson retired from military service in January 1992 in the rank of lieutenant colonel. He entered federal civil service in 1993 and, prior to his current position, served as Deputy Director of USSTRATCOM's Command, Control, Communications and Computer Systems Directorate.
1968 Bachelor's degree, Auburn University
1989 Master's degree in education, Troy State University
1. 1969 - 1970, intelligence officer, Headquarters 13th Air Force, Clark Air Base, Philippines
2. 1970 - 1971, 7th Air Force and Military Assistance Command Vietnam Headquarters, Saigon, Vietnam
3. 1972 - 1975, Directorate for Collection and Surveillance, Defense Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
4. 1976 - 1980, missile launch officer, instructor crew commander, command post controller, and Chief, Electronic Warfare Officer Training, 308th Strategic Missile Wing, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
5. 1980 - 1981, Postgraduate Intelligence Course, Defense Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
6. 1981 - 1983, Chief, Defensive Missiles, and Headquarters Strategic Air Command/IN Operational Intelligence Division, 544th Strategic Intelligence Wing, Offutt AFB, Neb.
7. 1983 - 1984, Headquarters U.S. Forces Korea and Combined Forces Command, Seoul, South Korea
8. 1984 - 1987, Directorate for Indications and Warning, Defense Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
9. 1987 - 1990, Director of Intelligence, 3rd Air Division, Strategic Air Command, Andersen AFB, Guam, and Hickam AFB, Hawaii
10. 1991 - 1992, Deputy Director of Intelligence Collection, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
11. 1993 - 1996, Long-Range Plans and Policy Branch, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
12. 1996 - 1997, Chief Command C4 Architect (J-6), USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, Neb.
13. 1997 - 2002, Division Chief, C4 Plans and Architecture Division, USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, Neb.
14. 2002 - 2005, Deputy Director, Command, Control, Communications and Computer Systems Directorate, USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, Neb.
15. 2005 - present, Associate Director, Capability and Resource Integration, USSTRATCOM, Offutt, AFB, Neb.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
(Current as of October 2005)