Maj. Gen. Gary T. McCoy is the Commander, Air Force Global Logistics Support Center, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. An Air Force Materiel Command sustainment center, the AFGLSC executes the Air Force supply chain by integrating enterprise-wide planning and strategy with global command and control serving as the single focal point to the warfighter. The AFGLSC manages a $8.5 billion budget and is composed of more than 4,200 personnel with operations at several geographically separated locations: the 448th Supply Chain Management Wing (Planning and Execution), Tinker AFB, Okla.; 635th Supply Chain Management Wing (Operations), Scott AFB; and 591st Supply Chain Management Group (Strategy and Integration), Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio.
A South Carolina native, General McCoy was commissioned through the Officer Training School in July 1976 and has served in a variety of command and staff assignments. A career logistics officer, he has commanded a supply squadron and a logistics group, and he has served staff tours at both major command and Air Staff levels. He has also served as a deputy program manager, a joint duty officer with the Defense Logistics Agency and an air logistics center product director. Prior to his current assignment, General McCoy was the Director of Logistics Readiness, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
1975 Bachelor of Arts degree in sociology, Culver-Stockton College, Mo.
1978 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1979 Master of Arts degree in human resources management, University of Redlands, Calif.
1981 Marine Corps Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1987 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1987 National Security Management Program, by correspondence
1993 Armed Forces Staff College, Joint and Combined Staff Officer School, Norfolk, Va.
1996 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Program for Executives in Logistics and Technology, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina
2007 Program for Senior Managers in Government, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. October 1976 - May 1979, Chief, Logistics Support Division, 1965th Communication and Installation Group, Norton AFB, Calif.
2. May 1979 - May 1982, senior management consultant, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
3. May 1982 - July 1983, Air Staff training officer, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
4. July 1983 - June 1985, Air Force Logistics Command logistics liaison officer, Headquarters Strategic Air Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
5. June 1985 - July 1986, Assistant Chief of Supply, 51st Tactical Fighter Wing, Osan Air Base, Korea
6. July 1986 - June 1987, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. June 1987 - June 1989, Chief, Logistics Management Branch and A-10 Deputy System Program Manager, Sacramento Air Logistics Center, McClellan AFB, Calif.
8. June 1989 - July 1991, Chief, Depot Maintenance Distribution Support Division and Deputy Director of Supply, Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
9. July 1991 - May 1993, Commander and Chief of Supply, 48th Fighter Wing, Royal Air Force, Lakenheath, England
10. May 1993 - July 1995, Chief, Air Force Readiness Support, Headquarters Defense Logistics Agency, Cameron Station, Va.
11. July 1995 - June 1996, student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. June 1996 - May 1998, Commander, 82nd Logistics Group, 82nd Training Wing, Sheppard AFB, Texas
13. May 1998 - June 1999, Chief, Materiel Management Division, Directorate of Logistics, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
14. June 1999 - July 2000, Deputy Director of Logistics, Directorate of Logistics, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
15. July 2000 - March 2002, Director, Avionics Management, Warner Robins ALC, Robins AFB, Ga.
16. March 2002 - February 2003, special assistant for Depot Maintenance Reengineering and Transformation to the Deputy Chief of Staff for Installations and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
17. February 2003 - November 2003, Deputy Director of Maintenance, Deputy Chief of Staff for Installations and Logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
18. November 2003 - January 2006, Director of Logistics and Sustainment, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
19. January 2006 - October 2008, Director of Logistics Readiness, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
20. November 2008 - present, Commander, Air Force Global Logistics Support Center, AFMC, Scott AFB, Ill.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
May 1993 - July 1995, Chief, Air Force Readiness Support, Headquarters Defense Logistics Agency, Cameron Station, Va., as a lieutenant colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
1978 Supply Junior Officer of the Year, U.S. Air Force
1992 Senior Supply Manager of the Year, USAFE
2001 Maj. Gen. Thomas H. Chapman Product Director of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 28, 1976
First Lieutenant July 28, 1978
Captain July 28, 1980
Major May 1, 1985
Lieutenant Colonel May 1, 1990
Colonel May 1, 1996
Brigadier General April 1, 2003
Major General Sept. 2, 2006
(Current as of October 2011)