Robert J. Conner, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Director, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla. He is responsible for the 72nd Air Base Wing, as well as the center's Combat Sustainment, Aircraft Sustainment and Maintenance wings. He ensures the center provides depot maintenance, weapon system acquisition and sustainment, purchasing and supply chain management, as well as installation, services and information support.
Mr. Conner was born in Evansville, Ind. He began his Air Force career in 1974 as a management intern at the Warner Robins Air Logistics Center, Robins AFB, Ga. He managed avionics programs at Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, worked in acquisition logistics at the Aeronautical Systems Center and managed international logistics programs at the Pentagon.
Mr. Conner transferred to the Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif., in 1983. In his 10 years at the center he held a variety of management positions, including program manager on a major foreign military sales program with the government of Turkey, Deputy System Manager for the A-10 aircraft and Associate Director for Commodities. He moved to the Oklahoma City ALC in 1993 where he was Director of Commodities Management, the Comptroller and the Director of Logistics Management. Prior to his current assignment, he was the Executive Director for the Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio.
1974 Bachelor of Arts degree in mathematics and psychology, Indiana University
1978 Master's degree in logistics management, Air Force Institute of Technology
1988 Program for Senior Officials in National Security, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1993 Program Management Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1994 Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
1. August 1974 - August 1976, management intern, Warner Robins ALC, Robins AFB, Ga.
2. August 1976 - April 1982, logistics staff officer, later, Chief, Avionics Branch, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff of Logistics Operations, Headquarters AFLC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. April 1982 - August 1982, Deputy Director, Logistics, Reconnaissance, Strike and Electronic Warfare System Program Office, Air Force Acquisition Logistics Division, ASC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. August 1982 - December 1983, logistics staff officer, International Programs Directorate, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
5. December 1983 - March 1987, Program Manager, Peace Remo II, Materiel Management Directorate, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
6. March 1987 - June 1988, Deputy Chief, A-10 System Program Management Division, Materiel Management Directorate, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
7. June 1988 - October 1990, Deputy Chief, Resources Management Division, Maintenance Directorate, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
8. October 1990 - July 1993, Associate Director, Commodities Management Directorate, later, Associate Director, Aircraft Management Directorate, Sacramento ALC, McClellan AFB, Calif.
9. July 1993 - March 1994, Director, Commodities Management Directorate, Oklahoma City ALC, Tinker AFB, Okla.
10. March 1994 - September 1998, Comptroller, Oklahoma City ALC, Tinker AFB, Okla.
11. September 1998 - June 2000, Director of Logistics Management, Oklahoma City ALC, Tinker AFB, Okla.
12. June 2000 - August 2004, Executive Director, Oklahoma City ALC, Tinker AFB, Okla.
13. August 2004 - August 2005, Executive Director, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
14. August 2005 - present, Director, Oklahoma City ALC, Tinker AFB, Okla.
AWARDS AND HONORS
1978 General Edwin W. Rawlings Award, AFIT
1978 Ivan B. Thompson Award, AFIT
1990 Logistics Executive Management Award, Air Force Association
1993 Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2001 Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award
2005 Distinguished Executive Presidential Rank Award
Acquisition Logistics, Program Management and Financial Management, Level III
(Current as of October 2005)