Maj. Gen. David W. Eidsaune is Director, Strategic Plans, Programs and Analyses, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
General Eidsaune entered the Air Force in 1978 after graduation from the U.S. Air Force Academy. Following the completion of undergraduate pilot training in 1979, he served as an F-111 instructor and evaluator pilot at Cannon AFB, N.M., and F-4, F-111 and F-15 experimental test pilot at Edwards AFB, Calif. He has commanded at the squadron, group and wing levels, and was Vice Commander of Aeronautical Systems Center. During operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, he was a principal adviser to the Royal Saudi air force. The general also served as Commandant of the Air Force Institute of Technology, Commander of the Air Force Security Assistance Center, and Commander of the Air Armament Center. During Operation Iraqi Freedom, he served as the principal adviser to the Commanding General, Multi-National Force - Iraq, on air component issues.
General Eidsaune is a command pilot with more than 2,700 flying hours, primarily in the F-111, F-4, F-15 and F-16 aircraft.
1978 Bachelor of Science degrees in astronautical engineering and engineering science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1983 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1987 Master of Science degree in aeronautical engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
1990 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1996 Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2000 National Defense Fellow, Brookings Institution, Washington, D.C.
2002 Program for Executives, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pa.
1. June 1978 - November 1978, aeronautical engineer, Airborne Laser Laboratory Program Office, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2. November 1978 - November 1979, student, undergraduate pilot training, Reese AFB, Texas
3. February 1980 - May 1984, F-111 aircraft commander, instructor pilot and flight examiner, 27th Tactical Fighter Wing, Cannon AFB, N.M.
4. June 1984 - May 1985, student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. June 1985 - May 1986, student, USAF Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
6. July 1986 - January 1988, F-4, F-111 and F-15 experimental test pilot, 6512th Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
7. January 1988 - July 1989, F-15E test program manager, 6515th Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
8. July 1989 - July 1990, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. August 1990 - August 1992, fighter operations adviser, U.S. Military Training Mission, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
10. August 1992 - June 1994, Chief of Global Positioning System User Equipment Integration; Development System Manager for GPS User Equipment; and Chief, GPS Test and Configuration Management, Space and Missile Systems Center, Los Angeles AFB, Calif.
11. July 1994 - August 1996, Commander, 445th Flight Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
12. August 1996 - September 1997, Deputy Commander and Commander, 412th Operations Group, Edwards AFB, Calif.
13. September 1997 - August 1999, Deputy Director, Global Reach Programs, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisition, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
14. August 1999 - July 2000, National Defense Fellow, Brookings Institution, Washington, D.C.
15. August 2000 - June 2002, Wing Commander, Edwards AFB, Calif.
16. July 2002 - February 2003, Vice Commander, Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
17. February 2003 - April 2005, Commandant, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
18. April 2005 - April 2006, Director, Air Component Coordination Element, Multi-National Force-Iraq, Baghdad, Iraq
19. April 2006 - January 2007, Commander, Air Force Security Assistance Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
20. January 2007 - May 2009, Commander, Air Armament Center, and the Air Force Program Executive Officer for Weapons, Air Force Materiel Command, Eglin AFB, Fla.
21. May 2009 - July 2010, Director, Air, Space and Information Operations, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
22. July 2010 - present, Director, Strategic Plans, Programs and Analyses, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. August 1990 - May 1991, duty officer, operations Desert Shield and Storm, U.S. Central Command, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, as a major
2. April 2005 - April 2006, Director, Air Component Coordination Element, Multi-National Force-Iraq, Baghdad, Iraq, as a brigadier general
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: 2,700
Aircraft flown: F-16D, F-15A/B/C/D/E, F-111A/D/E, F-4C/D/E, RF-4C, A-7D, T-38A/B, A-37B and C-12
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 1978
First Lieutenant May 31, 1980
Captain May 31, 1982
Major March 1, 1988
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 1992
Colonel Aug. 1, 1998
Brigadier General Sept. 1, 2004
Major General Nov. 2, 2007
(Current as of January 2011)