Robert E. Duignan is Commander, 4th Air Force, Air Force Reserve Command, March Air Reserve Base, Calif. The 4th Air Force has command supervision of the Reserve's long-range airlift and air refueling units located throughout the continental United States, Hawaii and Guam
Mr. Duignan entered the U.S. Air Force in 1973 as a graduate of the University of Washington ROTC program. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in business. Mr. Duignan commanded a group and wing, and prior to assuming his current position, served as Director of Plans and Programs at Headquarters AFRC. He is a command pilot with more than 5,000 flying hours.
Mr. Duignan is an Air Reserve Technician, a full-time federal civil service employee serving in a selected position within a military unit. He was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in 2002.
1973 Bachelor of Arts degree in business administration, University of Washington, Seattle
1982 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1992 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2002 National Security Leadership Studies, Maxwell School of Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
1. February 1974 - March 1975, student, undergraduate pilot training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. April 1975 - March 1980, C-141 pilot, C-141 aircraft commander, C-141 instructor pilot and C-141 flight examiner, 7th Military Airlift Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
3. September 1980 - August 1984, C-141 pilot, C-141 instructor pilot and C-141 flight examiner, 708th Airlift Squadron (Reserve), Travis AFB, Calif.
4. August 1984 - July 1985, operations officer, 710th Military Airlift Squadron, Travis AFB, Calif.
5. July 1985 - October 1989, Assistant Deputy Commander for Operations, 349th Airlift Wing, Travis AFB, Calif.
6. October 1989 - August 1991, Deputy Commander for Operations, 459th Military Airlift Wing, Andrews AFB, Md.
7. August 1991 - June 1992, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
8. June 1992 - August 1992, special assistant to Wing Commander, 459th Airlift Wing, Andrews AFB, Md.
9. August 1992 - September 1993, Commander, 907th Airlift Group, Rickenbacker Air National Guard Base, Ohio
10. September 1993 - October 1994, Commander, 907th Airlift Group, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. October 1994 - August 1999, Commander, 445th Airlift Wing, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
12. August 1999 - June 2002, Deputy to the Chief of Air Force Reserve, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
13. June 2002 - September 2003, Director of Plans and Programs, Headquarters AFRC, Robins AFB, Ga.
14. September 2003 - present, Commander, 4th Air Force, AFRC, March ARB, Calif.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 5,000
Aircraft flown: C-141, C-5, T-38 and T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with four oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with two bronze stars
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
Humanitarian Service Medal with bronze star
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with Hourglass and "M" device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia)
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Government of Kuwait)
2008 Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 6, 1973
First Lieutenant Dec. 6, 1975
Captain Dec. 6, 1977
Major May 31, 1984
Lieutenant Colonel June 16, 1989
Colonel Aug. 1, 1993
Brigadier General Aug. 5, 1998
Major General Feb. 6, 2004
(Current as of February 2009)