Dr. James A. Cunningham, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Deputy for Acquisition, Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass. He is the senior civilian responsible to the commander of an organization composed of more than 10,000 military, civil service and contract support personnel, and an annual budget exceeding $4 billion. The organization acquires and develops command and control systems for the Air Force.
Dr. Cunningham entered federal service as a research chemist in 1973, and subsequently transferred into systems acquisition in 1976. He has held management positions in various program offices. Dr. Cunningham was elected to serve on a Department of Defense task force to recommend improvements to the military specifications and standards process.
1963 Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry, Muhlenberg College, Allentown, Pa.
1968 Doctor of Philosophy in chemistry, University of Kentucky, Louisville
1989 Executive Excellence Program, Carnegie-Mellon University
1990 Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1993 Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
1. August 1973 - June 1976, research chemist, Aerospace Research Laboratories, Aeronautical Systems Division, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2. June 1976 - December 1978, configuration manager, Maverick Missile Program Office, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. December 1978 - September 1980, program manager, Maverick Single Rail Launcher, Maverick Missile Program Office, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. September 1980 - February 1981, subsystem integration manager, F-15 Program Office, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. February 1981 - February 1982, senior program manager, TR-1 Ground Station Program Office, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. February 1982 - February 1983, Chief, systems integration, test and deployment, TR-1 Reconnaissance System Program Office, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. February 1983 - May 1984, Director, New Business, Simulator Program Office, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. May 1984 - April 1986, Director, Integrated Workforce Management Office, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
9. April 1986 - June 1987, Deputy Assistant, Acquisition Management, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. June 1987 - November 1989, Deputy Director, Special Operations Forces Program Office, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
11. November 1989 - June 1992, Deputy Director, Electronic Combat and Reconnaissance Programs, ASD, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
12. June 1992 - January 1996, Systems Program Director, Low Altitude Navigation and Targeting Infrared for Night, Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
13. January 1996 - March 1998, Manager, Training System Product Group, ASC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
14. April 1998 - April 1999, Director, Systems Management, ASC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
15. May 1999 - December 2004, Executive Director, Electronic Systems Center, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
16. December 2004 - present, Deputy for Acquisition, ESC, Hanscom AFB, Mass.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Superior performance awards
Approximately 15 publications in chemistry
Program Management, Level III
(Current as of February 2005)