Robert S. Boyd, a member of the Senior Intelligence Executive Service, is Director, Air Force Intelligence Analysis Agency, and Deputy for Intelligence Analysis, Washington, D.C. The agency provides tailored, substantive intelligence and imagery to the Secretary of the Air Force and Air Force Chief of Staff, and reports to the Director of Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Air and Space Operations.
Mr. Boyd graduated from Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pa., in 1968. He was commissioned in the U.S. Army the same year and served as an intelligence and infantry adviser in Vietnam from 1969 to 1970. Subsequently, he served in intelligence and security positions at Fort Huachuca, Ariz., and Heidelberg, West Germany. He left the Army in 1977 to accept a civilian intelligence position with the Defense Intelligence Agency, where he served as the lead ground forces analyst for East Germany and Poland. Three years later, he began his career as an Air Force civilian in the General Threat Division of the Office of the Assistant Chief of Staff for Intelligence.
Mr. Boyd's analytical specialties included unconventional warfare, chemical-biological warfare and air-to-surface ordnance, topics he frequently lectured on at Air Force schools and conferences. When the Air Force Intelligence Agency was formed in 1987, Mr. Boyd was chosen to head the Tactical Division of the Directorate of Threat and Technology. Two years later, he was promoted to Deputy Director, then to Director in 1994. In June of that year, the organization became the Intelligence Analysis Directorate of the National Air Intelligence Center. In February 2001 the directorate disbanded and merged with the 497th Information Operations Group to become a new field operating agency under the Air Staff.
1968 Bachelor of Arts degree in English, Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pa.
1972 Military Intelligence Officers Advanced Course, U.S. Army Intelligence School, Fort Huachuca, Ariz.
1973 Counterintelligence Agent Course, U.S. Army Intelligence School, Fort Huachuca, Ariz.
1986 National Senior Intelligence Program, Joint Military Intelligence College
1990 Contemporary Executive Development Program, George Washington University
1998 Distinguished graduate, Center for Defense Leadership and Management, National Defense University
1. 1969 - 1970, intelligence and infantry adviser, Cu Chi, South Vietnam
2. 1970 - 1972, Deputy Chief, intelligence and security office, Fort Huachuca, Ariz.
3. 1973 - 1977, Chief, East German Army Branch, U.S. Army Europe, Heidelberg, West Germany
4. 1977 - 1980, lead ground forces analyst, Defense Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
5. 1980 - 1987, analyst, General Threat Division, Office of the Assistant Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
6. 1987 - 1989, Chief, Tactical Division, Directorate of Threat and Technology, Air Force Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
7. 1989 - 1994, Deputy Director, Directorate of Threat and Technology, Air Force Intelligence Support Agency, Washington, D.C.
8. 1994 - 2001, Director, Intelligence Analysis Directorate, National Air Intelligence Center, Air Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C.
9. 2001 - present, Director, Air Force Intelligence Analysis Agency; and Deputy for Intelligence Analysis, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Combat Infantry Badge
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Department of Defense Distinguished Civilian Service Award
2003 Presidential Meritorious Executive Rank Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Veterans of Foreign Wars
(Current as of May 2004)