Lt. Gen. Mueller is the Inspector General of the Air Force, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C. The Inspector General reports to the Secretary and Chief of Staff of the Air Force on matters concerning Air Force effectiveness, efficiency, and the military discipline of active duty, Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard forces. The Inspector General provides inspection policy, and oversees the inspection and evaluation system for all Air Force nuclear and conventional forces; oversees Air Force counterintelligence operations and chairs the Air Force Intelligence Oversight Panel; investigates fraud, waste and abuse; oversees criminal investigations; and provides oversight of complaints resolution programs. He also performs any other duties directed by the Secretary or the Chief of Staff. The Inspector General is responsible for two field operating agencies: the Air Force Inspection Agency and the Air Force Office of Special Investigations.
General Mueller entered the Air Force in 1979 after receiving his commission from the U.S. Air Force Academy. A command pilot with more than 3,300 flying hours in the F-16, including combat in Desert Storm, he has commanded at the flight, squadron, group, wing and MAJCOM levels. His staff assignments include Headquarters Pacific Air Forces as Chief of the Tactics Branch and executive officer to the Director of Operations; the Joint Staff as Chief of the Precision Engagement Assessment Division; NATO's Joint Warfare Center, Stavanger, Norway, as the Chief of Staff; and Headquarters U.S. Air Force as the Director of Joint Integration and, later, Director of Operational Capability Requirements for the Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Plans and Requirements.
Prior to his current assignment, he was Vice Commander, U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany. In 2009, he served as the Director of the Air Component Coordination Element, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, Kabul, Afghanistan. In 2007, General Mueller also served as the Director of the Combined Air Operations Center, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, Southwest Asia.
1979 Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1984 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1984 U.S. Air Force Fighter Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
1986 Air Command and Staff College, by seminar
1993 Master of Science degree in aeronautical science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Fla.
1994 U.S. Army Command and General Officer Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
1999 Master of Science degree in national security strategy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2007 Combined Force Air Component Commander Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Joint Flag Officer Warfighting Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Joint Land Component Commander Course, Carlisle Barracks, Pa.
1. September 1979 - September 1980, student, undergraduate pilot training, Reese AFB, Texas
2. December 1980 - August 1981, F-16 flying training, Hill AFB, Utah
3. September 1981 - September 1982, F-16 squadron pilot, 35th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
4. October 1982 - March 1986, F-16 instructor pilot, and squadron weapons and tactics officer, 428th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
5. April 1986 - June 1989, F-16 instructor pilot and flight commander, U.S. Air Force Fighter Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6. July 1989 - June 1991, F-16 instructor pilot and flight commander, 68th Tactical Fighter Squadron; later, assistant operations officer, 69th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Moody AFB, Ga.
7. July 1991 - May 1993, Chief, Tactics Branch, and executive officer to Director of Operations, Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
8. June 1993 - June 1994, student, U.S. Army Command and General Officer Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
9. July 1994 - July 1995, F-16 instructor pilot and Chief of Safety, 388th Fighter Squadron, Hill AFB, Utah
10. August 1995 - July 1998, Commander, 522nd Fighter Squadron; later, Commander, 27th Operations Group, Cannon AFB, N.M.
11. August 1998 - June 1999, student, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
12. July 1999 - July 2000, Commander, 8th Operations Group, Kunsan AB, South Korea
13. July 2000 - July 2002, Chief, Precision Engagement Assessment Division, Directorate for Force Structure, Resources and Assessment (J8), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
14. July 2002 - July 2004, Commander, 52nd Fighter Wing, Spangdahlem AB, Germany
15. August 2004 - August 2006, Chief of Staff, Joint Warfare Center, NATO, Stavanger, Norway
16. September 2006 - May 2008, Director for Joint Integration, Directorate of Operational Capability Requirements, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Plans and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
17. May 2008 - June 2009, Director, Operational Capability Requirements, Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations, Plans and Requirements, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
18. June 2009 - June 2010, Director, Air Component Coordination Element, Air Force Central Command, Kabul, Afghanistan
19. September 2010 - May 2012, Vice Commander, U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
20. May 2012 - present, Inspector General of the Air Force, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force,
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2000 - July 2002, Chief, Precision Engagement Assessment Division, Directorate for Force Structure, Resources and Assessment (J8), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C., as a colonel
2. August 2004 - August 2006, Chief of Staff, Joint Warfare Centre, NATO, Stavanger, Norway, as a brigadier general
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,300
Aircraft flown: F-16
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal
Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross
Bronze Star Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with silver oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 30, 1979
First Lieutenant May 30, 1981
Captain May 30, 1983
Major June 1, 1990
Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 1, 1995
Colonel May 1, 1999
Brigadier General April 1, 2005
Major General June 24, 2008
Lieutenant General Sept. 6, 2010
(Current as of March 2014)