Maj. Gen. Timothy C. Jones is the Director of Programs, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. The Directorate of Programs develops, integrates, evaluates and analyzes the more than $700 billion Air Force Program across the Future Years Defense Program and is responsible for maintaining the integrity and discipline of the Air Force Corporate Structure Process.
General Jones entered the Air Force in 1977 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. He has completed studies at the Royal College of Defence Studies in London, England, and has commanded at the squadron, group and wing levels. General Jones served as the Director of Operations and Chief of Staff at the Combined Air Operations Center for the Air Component in operations Deny Flight and Deliberate Force, enforcing various U.N. Security Council resolutions concerning Bosnia. During Operation Allied Force (Kosovo), he was Commander of the 60th Air Expeditionary Wing, which comprised KC-10, KC-135E, KC-135R and E-8s, and he flew combat missions in each aircraft. He also commanded the 92nd Air Refueling Wing, Fairchild Air Force Base, Wash., and the 55th Wing, Offutt AFB, Neb.
Prior to assuming his current position, General Jones was the Director of Plans and Programs at Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va. He was responsible for providing plans, programs, manpower and doctrine for more than 600 ACC and ACC-gained units at 291 locations, involving more than 173,000 people and an annual budget of more than $27 billion.
1977 Bachelor of Science degree in history, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1983 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1984 Master of Science degree in systems management, University of Southern California
1989 U.S. Marine Corps Command and Staff College, Quantico, Va.
1994 Royal College of Defence Studies, London, England
1. June 1977 - August 1978, student, undergraduate pilot training, 64th Flying Training Wing, Reese AFB, Texas
2. August 1978 - February 1979, student, B-52G/H Combat Crew Training Course, 4017th Combat Crew Training School, Castle AFB, Calif.
3. February 1979 - September 1983, standardization and evaluation co-pilot and B-52G aircraft commander, 69th Bombardment Squadron, Strategic Air Command, Loring AFB, Maine
4. September 1983 - September 1984, Air Staff Training Program officer, Directorate of Personnel Plans, Deputy Chief of Staff for Manpower and Personnel, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
5. September 1984 - July 1985, student, FB-111A pilot initial qualification training, 4007th Combat Crew Training Squadron, Plattsburgh AFB, N.Y.
6. July 1985 - July 1988, FB-111A instructor pilot, flight commander and wing executive officer, 509th Bombardment Wing, Pease AFB, N.H.
7. July 1988 - June 1989, student, U.S. Marine Corps Command and Staff College, Quantico, Va.
8. June 1989 - August 1991, Chief, Strategic Forces Branch, Strategic Division, Directorate of Operations, Deputy Chief of Staff for Plans and Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
9. August 1991 - November 1992, Commander, 25th Flying Training Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
10. November 1992 - November 1993, Deputy Commander, 99th Operations Group, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
11. November 1993 - December 1994, student, Royal College of Defence Studies, London, England
12. December 1994 - July 1997, Director of Operations and Chief of Staff, Combined Air Operations Center, and Deputy Chief of Staff for Plans and Operations, 5th Allied Tactical Air Force (NATO), Vicenza, Italy
13. July 1997 - November 1998, Commander, 93rd Operations Group, Robins AFB, Ga.
14. November 1998 - February 2000, Commander, 92nd Air Refueling Wing, Fairchild AFB, Wash. (April 1999 - July 1999, Commander, 60th Air Expeditionary Wing, Rhein-Main Air Base, Germany, and Budapest, Hungary)
15. February 2000 - August 2002, Deputy Director of Programs, Deputy Chief of Staff for Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
16. August 2002 - October 2003, Commander, 55th Wing, Offutt AFB, Neb.
17. November 2003 - August 2006, Director of Plans and Programs, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
18. August 2006 - present, Director of Programs, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington D.C.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: 3,400
Aircraft flown: T-37, B-52, FB-111, B-1, E-8, KC-135 and RC-135
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1977
First Lieutenant June 1, 1979
Captain June 1, 1981
Major March 1, 1987
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 1990
Colonel Feb. 1, 1994
Brigadier General April 1, 2001
Major General Aug. 1, 2004
(Current as of November 2007)