Alan K. "Keith" Bentley, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Director, Program Analysis and Financial Management, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill. He is responsible for developing and integrating budget formulation, execution and programming of resources for the Defense Transportation System.
Born in Lawton, Okla., Mr. Bentley graduated from high school in 1973 and, after completing a tour in the U.S. Navy, entered Eastern Kentucky University in 1977 where he received a bachelor's degree in accounting. He received his master's degree from Central Michigan University. He entered civil service in 1981 at Barksdale AFB, La., as a staff auditor for the Air Force Audit Agency. His audit career continued with the agency at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, from 1982 to 1989, where he served as a staff auditor and an audit manager. In 1989, Mr. Bentley broadened his experience by working in the budget office at Aeronautical Systems Center, where he supported several system program offices. He was promoted to Chief of Budget Policy, Financial Management and Comptroller at Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command in 1992. While assigned to AFMC, he also served as technical adviser to the Chief for Budget and Comptroller Plans, and later as Chief of the Systems Branch within the Financial Services and Systems Division. He became Division Chief in 2000.
Mr. Bentley was selected as the Chief of the Air Force Financial Systems Management Office in 2001. This office reports directly to the Office of the Secretary of Defense for Financial Management through the Directorate of Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters AFMC. In this position, he oversaw the development, deployment, training and maintenance of Air Force comptroller systems. In 2002, he was promoted to Senior Leader and became the Senior Financial Adviser for the Directorate of Financial Management and Comptroller, serving as the principal adviser and leading technical authority for financial and cost analysis in support of the AFMC mission. In December 2004, Mr. Bentley was appointed to the Senior Executive Service and was assigned to his present position.
1980 Bachelor's degree in accounting, Eastern Kentucky University
1989 Professional Military Comptroller School, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1990 Master's degree, Central Michigan University
1997 Education With Industry, Delphi Corporation (General Motors), Dayton, Ohio
2005 Defense Leadership and Management Program, Washington, D.C.
2007 Department of Defense SES APEX Program, Washington, D.C.
2008 Program for Senior Managers in Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
1. 1981 - 1982, staff auditor, Air Force Audit Agency, Barksdale AFB, La.
2. 1982 - 1989, staff auditor and audit manager, Air Force Audit Agency, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
3. 1989 - 1992, budget analyst, Aeronautical System Center, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. 1992 - 1995, Chief of Budget Policy, Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters
Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. 1995 - 1998, technical adviser, Budget and Comptroller Plans, Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. 1998 - 2000, Chief, Systems Branch, Financial Services and Systems Division, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. 2000 - 2001, Chief, Financial Services and Systems Division, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
8. 2001- 2002, Chief, Air Force Financial Systems Management Office, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
9. 2002 - 2004, Senior Financial Adviser, Directorate of Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
10. 2004 - present, Director, Program Analysis and Financial Management (J8), U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Award for outstanding contributions to financial management, Air Force Materiel Command
National American Society of Military Comptrollers Award for distinguished performance in auditing
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
American Society of Military Comptrollers
Chairperson, Saint Louis Federal Executive Board
1985 Certified Public Accountant
2003 Certified Defense Financial Manager
Financial Management, Level III
(Current as of October 2009)