Robert E. Dawes, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Auditor General of the Air Force, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C. He also serves as head of the Air Force Audit Agency, which is responsible for all internal auditing in the Air Force. He exercises full administrative and technical supervision over a worldwide organization composed of more than 800 members assigned to 50 locations.
Mr. Dawes attended school in San Jose, Calif., and has a master of international management degree from the American Graduate School of International Management in Phoenix, Ariz. Mr. Dawes began his federal service career with the U.S. Army in 1968 where he earned a commission and then served as an infantry officer through 1972. In 1976 he returned to federal service as an auditor with the General Accounting Office in Los Angeles, followed by an assignment to Frankfurt, West Germany.
Mr. Dawes joined the Air Force Audit Agency in 1983 and has held positions of increased responsibility to include audit manager, regional supervisory auditor, program manager, associate director, assistant auditor general, and Deputy Auditor General and Director of Operations. He has performed or directed audits in various subject areas, including environmental and financial management. He recently served on a temporary assignment as the Inspector General for the Coalition Provisional Authority in Baghdad, Iraq. Mr. Dawes is a certified public accountant in California.
1974 Bachelor of Arts degree, San Jose State University, Calif.
1976 Master of international management degree, American Graduate School of International Management, Phoenix, Ariz.
1985 Professional Military Comptroller School, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1999 Senior Executive Seminar, Carnegie-Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pa.
2001 Leadership for a Democratic Society, Federal Executive Institute, Charlottesville, Va.
1. 1968 - 1972, infantry officer, U.S. Army
2. 1976 - 1979, auditor, U.S. General Accounting Office, Los Angeles Regional Office, Calif.
3. 1979 - 1983, auditor, U.S. General Accounting Office European Branch, Frankfurt, West Germany
4. 1983 - 1986, Audit Manager, Air Force Audit Agency, Norton AFB, Calif.
5. 1986 - 1989, Regional Supervisory Auditor, Air Force Audit Agency, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany
6. 1989 - 1993, Program Manager, Air Force Audit Agency, Norton AFB, Calif.
7. 1993 - 1996, Program Manager, Air Force Audit Agency, March AFB, Calif.
8. 1996 - 2000, Associate Director, Air Force Audit Agency, March Air Reserve Base, Calif.
9. 2000 - 2004, Assistant Auditor General, Directorate of Financial and Systems Audits, Air Force Audit Agency, March ARB, Calif.
10. 2004, Deputy Auditor General and Director of Operations, Air Force Audit Agency, Washington, D.C.
11. 2004 - present, Auditor General of the Air Force, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
2004 President's Council on Integrity and Efficiency Award for Excellence
2005 Decoration for Exceptional Civilian Service
2008 Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
American Society of Military Comptrollers
Certified Public Accountant, California
(Current as of 2008)