Maj. Gen. James D. Bankers, is Commander, 22nd Air Force, Air Force Reserve Command, Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Ga. The 22nd Air Force has command supervision of Air Force Reserve airlift resources in the eastern United States.
The general earned a Bachelor of Science degree in psychology from North Dakota State University in Fargo in 1968. He received his commission as a second lieutenant through the university's Air Force ROTC program the same year. The general is a command pilot with more than 3,800 flying hours, including more than 200 combat missions in Southeast Asia. Prior to assuming his current position, he served as the Assistant Vice Commander of Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command at Robins Air Force Base, Ga. He is an air reserve technician, which is a full-time, federal civil service employee serving in a selected position within a military unit. The general was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in 1999.
1968 Bachelor of Science degree in psychology, North Dakota State University, Fargo
1982 Air Command and Staff College
1987 Air War College
1. June 1968 - June 1969, student, undergraduate pilot training, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2. December 1969 - October 1970, squadron pilot, 604th Special Operations Squadron, Bien Hoa Air Base, South Vietnam
3. October 1970 - May 1971, training officer, 603rd Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
4. May 1971 - September 1972, instructor pilot, 427th Special Operations Squadron, England AFB, La.
5. September 1972 - February 1977, instructor pilot, 917th Special Operations Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
6. February 1977 - February 1980, tactics officer, 434th Tactical Fighter Wing, Grissom AFB, Ind.
7. February 1980 - December 1984, safety officer, squadron operations officer and Director of Operations, 459th Tactical Airlift Wing, Andrews AFB, Md.
8. December 1984 - August 1987, Deputy Commander for Operations, 459th Military Airlift Wing, Andrews AFB, Md.
9. August 1987 - March 1992, Commander, 910th Tactical Airlift Group, Youngstown Air Reserve Base, Ohio
10. March 1992 - May 1997, Commander, 315th Airlift Wing, Charleston AFB, S.C. 11. May 1997 - March 1999, Commander, 439th Airlift Wing, Westover Air Reserve Base, Mass.
12. March 1999 - May 2000, Assistant Vice Commander, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
13. May 2000 - present, Commander, 22nd Air Force, Air Force Reserve Command, Dobbins ARB, Ga.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,800
Aircraft flown: A-37, C-130, C-141, C-17 and C-5
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with nine oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
2005 Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1968
First Lieutenant Jan. 9, 1970
Captain June 5, 1971
Major June 7, 1979
Lieutenant Colonel Oct. 4, 1984
Colonel July 1, 1988
Brigadier General Feb. 29, 1996
Major General March 30, 2001
(Current as of October 2005)