James A. "Ty" Hughes Jr. is Deputy General Counsel for Acquisition, Office of the Air Force General Counsel, Washington, D.C. Mr. Hughes is responsible for providing advice to the Service Acquisition Executive, the Program Executive Officers and the Air Staff on acquisition law.
Mr. Hughes graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 1972 and entered the U.S. Army as a second lieutenant. He completed his legal education at Boston University in 1979 and served in the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General's Corps until 1992. His active-duty assignments include Assistant to the General Counsel of the Army, Special Assistant to the Inspector General of the Department of Defense and Chief Counsel for the Department of Defense post-war Reconstruction Assistance Office in Kuwait. Mr. Hughes also served as a trial attorney and as a supervising trial attorney representing the Army in contract litigation before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals.
Prior to his appointment as Deputy General Counsel for Acquisition, Mr. Hughes was a partner at a national law firm where he represented a diverse range of clients in federal, state and local government contract matters.
1972 Bachelor of Science degree in applied science and engineering, U.S. Military Academy
1979 Juris Doctor and Master of Business Administration degrees, Boston University
1986 Program Management Course, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1987 Master of Laws degree, Georgetown University
2002 Master of Science degree in electrical engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
1. 1972 - 1976, U.S. Army communications-electronics staff officer, 1st Armored Division, West Germany
2. 1976 - 1979, student, Boston University
3. 1979 - 1982, trial counsel, 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, N.C.
4. 1982 - 1983, student, U.S. Army Judge Advocate General's School, Charlottesville, Va.
5. 1983 - 1986, trial attorney, U.S. Army Contract Appeals Division, Falls Church, Va.
6. 1986 - 1989, assistant to the General Counsel, Department of the Army, Washington, D.C.
7. 1989 - 1991, special assistant to the Department of Defense Inspector General, Washington, D.C.
8. 1991, Chief Legal Counsel, Defense Reconstruction Assistance Office, Kuwait
9. 1992, Supervising Trial Attorney, U.S. Army Contract Appeals Division, Arlington, Va.
10. 1992 - 1996, Counsel, King and Spalding, Washington, D.C.
11. 1996 - 2003, Partner, Patton Boggs LLP, Washington, D.C.
12. 2003 - present, Deputy General Counsel for Acquisition, Office of the Air Force General Counsel, Washington, D.C.
Master Parachute Badge
AWARDS AND HONORS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Southwest Asia Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal with bronze star
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Government of Kuwait)
(Current as of May 2004)