Theodore J. Williams, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Auditor General of the Air Force, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C. He also serves as head of the Air Force Audit Agency, which is responsible for all internal auditing in the Air Force. He exercises full administrative and technical supervision over a worldwide organization composed of more than 600 members assigned to 50 locations.
Mr. Williams served in the Air Force more than 26 years before retiring in the rank of colonel in 1999. While on active duty, he worked for the Air Force Audit Agency more than 11 years as an acquisition auditor, audit manager, branch chief, acting office chief, program manager and executive officer to the Air Force Auditor General. He was also an AC-130, KC-135, and EC-135 navigator, instructor and evaluator for more than 10 years. From 1995 to 1999, Mr. Williams was assigned to the Defense Finance and Accounting Service headquarters as the Assistant Deputy Director for Customer Service and the first Director of Program Control for accounting systems development and migration.
Following active duty, Mr. Williams worked for the MITRE Corp., a non-profit company assisting government organizations with scientific research and analysis, and systems development and acquisition. Prior to assuming his current position, Mr. Williams was the Deputy Auditor General for Financial and Support Audits, Air Force Audit Agency, Washington, D.C.
1972 Bachelor of Science degree in business administration, Northwestern State University of Louisiana, Natchitoches
1978 Master of Business Administration degree in management, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, N.Y.
1980 Master of Science degree in management and accounting, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, N.Y.
1985 Professional Military Comptroller Course
1987 Program Management Course, Fort Belvoir, Va.
1996 Executive Program Management Course, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2002 Program for Senior Managers in Government, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2004 Program for Executives in Logistics and Technology, Center of Excellence in Logistics and Technology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
1. July 1974 - June 1975, AC-130 gunship infrared systems operator, Korat Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
2. July 1975 - December 1980, KC-135 navigator, instructor and evaluator, 380th Bomb Wing, Plattsburgh AFB, N.Y.
3. January 1981 - March 1984, EC-135 research navigator, instructor and evaluator, 4950th Test Wing, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. April 1984 - July 1987, acquisition auditor and audit manager, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. August 1987 - July 1990, Branch Chief and acting Chief for Ballistic Missile and Space Systems, Norton AFB, Calif.
6. August 1990 - July 1994, Program Manager for Weapon Systems and Depot Maintenance Evaluations, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. August 1994 - August 1995, executive officer to the Air Force Auditor General, Washington, D.C.
8. September 1995 - May 1996, Assistant Deputy Director for Customer Service, Headquarters Defense Finance and Accounting Service, Arlington, Va.
9. June 1996 - June 1999, Director for Program Control, Headquarters DFAS, Arlington, Va.
10. August 1999 - January 2001, Lead General Systems Engineer, MITRE Corp., McLean, Va.
11. February 2001- August 2002, Assistant Auditor General for Field Activities, Air Force Audit Agency, Arlington, Va.
12. August 2002 - January 2008, Assistant Auditor General for Acquisition and Logistics Audits, Air Force Audit Agency, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
13. February 2008 - July 2008, Deputy Auditor General for Financial and Support Audits, Air Force Audit Agency, Washington, D.C.
14. August 2008 - present, Auditor General of the Air Force, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
American Society of Military Comptrollers
Association of Government Accountants
1990 Certificate in Personal Financial Planning, University of California
1994 Certified Acquisition Professional in Program and Financial Management, Level III
2004 Certified Defense Financial Manager
(Current as of August 2013)