Brig. Gen. Jerald D. Stubbs is the staff judge advocate of Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. He is the principal legal adviser to the AFMC commander and staff and is responsible for all legal services provided to an organization with approximately 108,000 people. He oversees more than 330 attorneys and nearly 200 paralegals at 19 locations. His responsibilities include all Air Force litigation before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals with a current case value approaching $2 billion.
The general was born in Savannah, Ga., and graduated from Marshall High School in Ankara, Turkey, in 1963. He was commissioned a second lieutenant in 1967 after completing the University of Georgia Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program as a distinguished graduate. In 1970, he graduated from Harvard Law School and entered active duty. He has served in various capacities, including staff judge advocate at the base, logistics center and major command levels. He also served as commander of the Air Force Legal Services Agency on The Judge Advocate General's staff. In 1994, he was selected outstanding senior Air Force attorney by the Air Force Association. The general is a member of the State Bar of Georgia and is licensed to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces, the Supreme Court of Georgia and various federal district and appellate courts.
1967 Bachelor's degree, University of Georgia
1970 Juris Doctor, Harvard Law School
1978 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1982 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
1990 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. June 1970 - May 1973, assistant staff judge advocate, Electronic Systems Division, Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass.
2. May 1973 - May 1976, deputy staff judge advocate, 21st Composite Wing, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska
3. Break in service
4. November 1978 - August 1980, deputy staff judge advocate, 314th Military Airlift Wing, Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark.
5. August 1980 - July 1984, trial attorney, Air Force Contract Trial Team, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
6. July 1984 - July 1986, staff judge advocate, 51st Tactical Fighter Wing, Osan Air Base, South Korea
7. July 1986 - July 1989, chief of administrative law, General Law Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
8. July 1989 - July 1990, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
9. July 1990 - July 1992, staff judge advocate, Warner Robins Air Logistics Center, Robins Air Force Base, Ga.
10. August 1992 - May 1995, deputy staff judge advocate, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
11. May 1995 - August 1996, staff judge advocate, Headquarters U.S. Space Command and Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colo.
12. August 1996 - January 1999, commander, Air Force Legal Services Agency, Bolling Air Force Base, D.C.
13. February 1999 - present, staff judge advocate, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
1972 Outstanding Judge Advocate Award, Air Force Systems Command
1994 Outstanding Senior Attorney Award, Air Force Association
1994 Outstanding Senior Air Force Judge Advocate Recognition Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 6, 1967
First Lieutenant Jul 1, 1968
Captain Jun 1, 1970
Major Aug 1, 1980
Lieutenant Colonel Mar 1, 1985
Colonel Jul 1, 1990
Brigadier General Apr 1, 1999
(Current as of August 1999)