BRIGADIER GENERAL TOM W. SCOTT
Died December 21,1988
PRINT | E-MAIL
Tom William Scott was born in Wichita, Kan., in 1902. He graduated from the University of California in 1926 and was commissioned a second lieutenant in May l930.
Assigned to Rockwell Field, Calif., General Scott's early career included service assignments as a fighter pilot and assistant aircraft engineering officer, and later flying instructor and supply and mess officer at March Field, Calif.
Going to Nicholas Field in the Philippine Islands in 1937, General Scott served there in various capacities until 1939 when he moved to Brooks Field, Texas, again serving in various positions. In l942 he was assigned as chief of the Sub-Depot Control Section at Duncan Field, Texas, and deputy commander of the San Antonio Air Materiel Area.
Assigned to Europe in January l944, General Scott became commander of several air base depots until his return to the United States in l946 to become deputy chief of staff, materiel for the 12th Air Force at March Field.
After attending the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in l949, he then became deputy commander of Ellington Air Force Base, Texas, going to Vance Air Force Base in September 1949 as wing and base commander, General Scott was named deputy commander of the Flying Training Air Force at Waco, Texas until 1952.
Returning overseas in 1952, General Scott became vice commander of the 20th Air Force, participating in two combat missions in B-29s during the Korean conflict.
Moving to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio in 1954, he then became deputy commander of supply, Air Materiel Command, where he was second in command for world-wide supply activities for the Air Force, including the Mutual Defense Assistance Program.
On July 15, 1955, General Scott became deputy commander, San Antonio Air Materiel Area, AMC, San Antonio, Texas.
His decorations include the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Bronze Star Medal and the Croix de Guerre with palm. He is rated a command pilot and aircraft observer.
(Up to date as of February 1956)