Brigadier General Karen S. Rankin is director of plans and programs, Air Education and Training Command, headquartered at Randolph Air Force Base, Texas. As director of plans and programs, she is responsible for command supervision over all programming, mission requirement, manpower and organization, and long-range planning actions.
The general entered the Air Force in February 1967 through Officer Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, and has commanded a student squadron, a military entrance processing station and two training wings.
1965 Bachelor of arts degree in social sciences, California State University, Long Beach
1975 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1976 Master's degree in personnel management, Central Michigan University
1976 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1984 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1992 Executive Development Course, University of New Hampshire
1993 CAPSTONE Executive Development Program, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. April 1967 - July 1968, management analysis officer, March Air Force Base, Calif.
2. July 1968 - July 1969, management analysis officer, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
3. July 1969 - July 1971, administrative officer, 4453rd Organizational Maintenance Squadron, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz.
4. July 1971 - July 1972, director of administration, Headquarters 13th Air Force, and chief of protocol, Headquarters 7th Air Force, Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
5. August 1972 - July 1975, commander, 3411th Student Squadron, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
6. July 1975 - December 1976, chief of administration, 6970th Air Base Group, Fort George G. Meade, Md.
7. January 1977 - July 1983, action officer, Secretary of the Air Force Office of Legislative Liaison, Washington, D.C.; later, executive assistant to the secretary of the Air Force
8. July 1983 - July 1984, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
9. August 1984 - July 1986, commander, Los Angeles Military Entrance Processing Station
10. July 1986 - January 1990, deputy chief and chief, policy and management division, directorate of international programs, deputy chief of staff for programs and resources, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. January 1990 - May 1991, vice commander and chief, operations division, 3700th Technical Training Wing, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
12. May 1991 - September 1992, commander, 3700th Technical Training Wing, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
13. September 1992 - June 1993, vice commander, Lackland Training Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
14. July 1993 - November 1995, commander, 81st Training Wing, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
15. November 1995 - December 1996, director of technical training, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
16. January 1997 - present, director of plans and programs, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Apr 19, 1967
First Lieutenant Oct 19, 1968
Captain Apr 19, 1970
Major Feb 1, 1979
Lieutenant Colonel Dec 1, 1982
Colonel Dec 1, 1986
Brigadier General Jun 1, 1993
(Current as of October 1998)