Maj. Gen. Jeffrey M. Musfeldt is Deputy Inspector General of the Air Force, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C. General Musfeldt assists in overseeing Air Force inspection policy and criminal investigations; counterintelligence operations; complaints, and fraud, waste and abuse programs; intelligence oversight; and two field operating agencies -- the Air Force Inspection Agency and the Air Force Office of Special Investigations.
General Musfeldt was born and raised in Manning, Iowa. He was commissioned a second lieutenant in 1969 through the Air Force ROTC program, and received his pilot wings at Reese Air Force Base, Texas, the following year. The general is a command pilot with 4,100 hours of flying time, including combat time in Southeast Asia.
General Musfeldt, an instructor in the Air Force Reserves Squadron Commanders Course, was instrumental in developing the Air Force Reserve Commands mentoring program.
1969 Bachelor of Arts degree in mathematics, University of Iowa
1976 Squadron Officer School
1977 Air Command and Staff College
1978 Master of Science degree in business administration, University of Northern Colorado
1993 Air War College
1. June 1969 - July 1970, student, undergraduate pilot training, Reese AFB, Texas
2. July 1970 - March 1971, F-4 pilot, 4535th Tactical Crew Training Squadron, George AFB, Calif.
3. March 1971 - April 1972, F-4 pilot, 35th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
4. April 1972 - January 1977, A-7 instructor pilot and wing standardization and evaluation officer, 76th Tactical Fighter Squadron, England AFB, La.
5. January 1977 - October 1978, A-7 instructor pilot and wing scheduling officer, 355th Tactical Fighter Wing, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
6. May 1979 - September 1982, A-7 instructor pilot, 124th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Iowa Air National Guard, Des Moines, Iowa
7. September 1982 - September 1987, A-10 pilot and flight commander, 303rd Tactical Fighter Squadron, Richards-Gebaur Air Reserve Base, Mo.
8. September 1987 - December 1989, F-16 pilot and assistant operations officer, 302nd Tactical Fighter Squadron, Luke AFB, Ariz.
9. December 1989 - June 1993, Commander, 303rd Fighter Squadron, Richards-Gebaur ARB, Mo.
10. June 1993 - June 1995, Vice Commander, 442nd Fighter Wing, Richards-Gebaur ARB, Mo., and Whiteman AFB, Mo.
11. June 1995 - January 1996, special assistant to the Commander, 10th Air Force, Bergstrom Air Reserve Station, Texas
12. January 1996 - December 1997, Vice Commander, 10th Air Force, Bergstrom ARS, and Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base, Fort Worth, Texas
13. December 1997 - September 2000, mobilization assistant to the Commander, 12th Air Force, and Commander, U.S. Southern Command Air Forces, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
14. September 2000 - July 2002, mobilization assistant to the Deputy Chief of Staff, Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff for Air and Space Operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
15. July 2002 - present, Deputy Inspector General of the Air Force, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: 4,100
Aircraft flown: F-4, A-7, A-10 and F-16
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal with silver and two bronze oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 4, 1969
First Lieutenant June 4, 1972
Captain June 5, 1974
Major June 6, 1983
Lieutenant Colonel June 6, 1990
Colonel May 1, 1994
Brigadier General Aug. 13, 1997
Major General Feb. 29, 2000
(Current as of November 2002)