Maj. Gen. David V. Miller is the director of development and acquisition in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Research and Development, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
General Miller was born in 1919, in Glen Ellyn, Ill., where he graduated from Glenhard High School. He attended Lewis Institute in Chicago and later the University of Wisconsin where he received his bachelor of science degree in physics in 1951 and his master's degree in physics in 1952. He is also a graduate of the Air War College, 1955, and the Harvard School of Business Administration Advanced Management Program. He entered active military service as an aviation cadet in 1940 and was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Army Air Corps at Kelly Field, Texas, in 1941.
During World War II, General Miller served as a flight instructor at Randolph and Kelly fields, Texas; squadron commander; and with the 6th Reconnaissance Group as a P-38 pilot, operations officer and then deputy commander in the Pacific Theater of Operations.
After World War II, he was assigned to Air Training Command and again was active in pilot training, including duties as director of the Air Force Multiengine Instructor School at Barksdale Air Force Base, La., and later was training group commander at Vance Air Force Base, Okla. From June 1949 to February 1952, General Miller attended the University of Wisconsin studying physics under the Air Force Institute of Technology Program.
General Miller has a varied background in research and development, atomic energy and operational assignments. He was a nuclear research officer at the Naval Research Laboratory in Washington, D.C., from February 1952 to March 1953. He then went to the Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory, Los Alamos, N.M., for a similar assignment. From August 1954 to August 1955, he attended the Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. He next was director of operations and later deputy commander of the 47th Bombardment Wing at Schulthorpe, England, which supported the North Atlantic Treaty Organization Alliance.
He served at Headquarters U.S. Air Force from August 1958 to July 1963 in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Development, later Research and Development, where his duties included special assistant for nuclear development, and deputy director of science and technology. During this period his work also involved close liaison with the Atomic Energy Commission as a member of the Department of Defense Military Liaison Committee to the Atomic Energy Commission.
General Miller was assigned in July 1963 to the Space Systems Division of the Air Force Systems Command at Los Angeles, Calif., and in July 1964 became the Program Director for the Air Force Titan III standard space launch vehicle. In this position, he directed the development of the Titan III-C, the nation's most powerful military space booster, which has successfully orbited multiple communications satellites 18,200 nautical miles above the equator, Vela Satellites 60,000 nautical miles, and performed other space missions of significant value to the U.S. military role in space. He was awarded his Master Missileman Badge in August 1966 for his efforts in virtually all of our ballistic missiles and the Titan III space boosters.
In September 1966 he was named vice commander of the Space Systems Division, and in July 1967 assumed command of the Air Force Special Weapons Center, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M. In August 1969 General Miller was assigned as deputy chief of staff, personnel, Air Force Systems Command, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
General Miller was assigned as the director of development and acquisition, in the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff, Research and Development, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., in May 1970.
His military decorations and awards include the Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster, Air Medal, Air Force Commendation Medal and the Army Commendation Medal. He is a command pilot with more than 6,000 flying hours in various conventional and jet fighter and bomber aircraft.
He was promoted to the temporary grade of major general effective Feb. 24, 1970, with date of rank Aug. 10, 1965.
(Current as of May 15, 1971)