General John G. Lorber is commander of Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii. He has responsibility for Air Force activities spread over half the world in a command that supports 44,000 Air Force people serving principally in Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, South Korea and Japan.
The general entered the Air Force in 1964 after graduating from the U.S. Air Force Academy. He flew as a fast-moving forward air controller in Vietnam, has commanded a fighter squadron and wing, and is a command pilot with more than 5,000 flying hours, primarily in fighter aircraft.
1964 Bachelor of science degree, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1974 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1979 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1979 Master's degree in personnel management, Troy State University, Ala.
1985 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. August 1964 - August 1965, student, pilot training, Laredo Air Force Base, Texas
2. August 1965 - April 1969, T-37 instructor pilot and check pilot, 3640th Pilot Training Squadron, Laredo Air Force Base, Texas
3. April 1969 - November 1969, student, F-4 pilot training, Homestead Air Force Base, Fla.
4. November 1969 - January 1971, F-4 aircraft commander, instructor pilot and standardization and evaluation flight examiner, flying combat as a fast-moving forward air controller, 497th Tactical Fighter Squadron "Night Owls," 8th Tactical Fighter Wing, Ubon Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
5. January 1971 - May 1971, F-111 aircraft commander, 442nd Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
6. May 1971 - January 1975, instructor pilot and standardization and evaluation flight examiner, 77th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 20th Tactical Fighter Wing, Royal Air Force Station Upper Heyford, England
7. January 1975 - July 1978, candidate counselor and recruiter specialist, athletic department, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
8. August 1978 - November 1979, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
9. November 1979 - April 1980, operations officer, 77th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 20th Tactical Fighter Wing, Royal Air Force Station Upper Heyford, England
10. April 1980 - July 1982, commander, 79th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 20th Tactical Fighter Wing, Royal Air Force Station Upper Heyford, England
11. July 1982 - August 1984, nuclear employment and policy planner, deputy director for force development and strategic plans, Office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Washington, D.C.
12. August 1984 - June 1985, student, Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
13. July 1985 - July 1986, deputy commander of operations, 8th Tactical Fighter Wing, Kunsan Air Base, South Korea
14. August 1986 - June 1987, deputy chief of staff for operations, 5th Air Force, Yokota Air Base, Japan
15. June 1987 - July 1989, commander, 432nd Tactical Fighter Wing, Misawa Air Base, Japan
16. July 1989 - July 1992, deputy chief of staff, plans, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
17. July 1992 - July 1993, director of plans, deputy chief of staff for plans and operations, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
18. July 1993 - October 1994, vice commander in chief, U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
19. October 1994 - present, commander, Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
Rating: Command pilot Flight hours: More than 5,000 Aircraft flown: T-33, T-37, F-4, F-16 and F-111
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with 15 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 3, 1964
First Lieutenant Dec 3, 1965
Captain Dec 3, 1967
Major Oct 1, 1975
Lieutenant Colonel Apr 1, 1980
Colonel Dec 1, 1983
Brigadier General Oct 1, 1989
Major General Jul 1, 1992
Lieutenant General Jul 21, 1993
General Oct 12, 1994
(Current as of February 1995)