Major General Donald P. Litke is deputy director, Defense Logistics Agency, Cameron Station, Va. The agency has units located throughout the world which perform a threefold mission of logistics support to the military services and foreign allies. These three missions include the buying and distributing of common supplies, such as food, clothing, fuel, medical, industrial, construction, electronics and general commodities; administration of defense contracts; and management of technical services such as controlling technical data and the redistribution of surplus equipment.
General Litke was born in 1934, in Denver. He is a 1956 graduate of Colorado State University with a bachelor of science degree in economics. He received a master of science degree in international affairs from The George Washington University, Washington, D.C., in 1966. The general is a 1966 graduate of the command and staff course, Naval War College, Newport, R.I., and a 1975 graduate of the National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
He received his commission through the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps program and entered active duty as a student in the multiengine pilot training program in 1956. After earning his wings he completed advanced training at the U.S. Air Force Helicopter School, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas. His first operational duty assignment was with the 48th Air Rescue Squadron, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla., where he flew SH-19s, SA-16s and SC-54s.
In March 1959 he was assigned to the 56th Air Rescue Squadron, Sidi Slimane Air Base, Morocco, and in March 1960 was assigned to the 57th Air Rescue Squadron, Lajes Field, Azores. General Litke returned to the United States in September 1961 and was assigned to Detachment 7, Western Air Rescue Center, Malmstrom Air Force Base, Mont., where he flew HH-43 helicopters. In June 1963 he became commander of Detachment 1, Central Air Rescue Center, Glasgow Air Force Base, Mont.
The general was assigned to the inspector's staff of Headquarters Central Air Rescue Center, Richards-Gebaur Air Force Base, Mo., in September 1964. He spent the 1965-1966 academic year at the Naval War College. During the Vietnam conflict he was assigned as an H-34 helicopter pilot adviser to the Republic of Vietnam air force at Tan Son Nhut Air Base from September 1966 to September 1967. Upon his return to the United States, he was assigned to Headquarters Air Force Logistics Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, first as a member of the inspector general's staff and then as director of propulsion and auxiliary power systems. In August 1971 the general transferred to Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C., where he was assigned as a logistics plans staff officer with duty as the Air Force logistics representative to the Packard Close Air Support Study Committee. Upon completion of the study, he became the executive officer for the assistant deputy chief of staff and later for the deputy chief of staff, systems and logistics.
After completion of the National War College in 1975, General Litke became program manager for the C-141 stretch program at Warner Robins Air Logistics Center, Robins Air Force Base, Ga. In July 1977 he became director of materiel management at Warner Robins. From February 1979 to June 1981, General Litke served as vice commander, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla. He then become deputy director of logistics and security assistance, J4/7, Headquarters European Command, Vaihingen, Germany. In June 1983 the general took command of The United States Logistics Group, Ankara Air Station, Turkey. He assumed his present duties in July 1985.
General Litke is a command pilot with experience in a variety of aircraft. His military decorations and awards include the Distinguished Service Medal, Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters, Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star Medal, Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters, Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, and Republic of Vietnam Honor Medals 1st and 2nd Class and Gallantry Cross with Palm.
He was promoted to major general June 1, 1983, with date of rank Aug. 1, 1979.
(Current as of December 1985)