Brigadier General Orest L. Kohut is deputy director of the 8th Quadrennial Review of Military Compensation, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Force Management), Under Secretary of Defense (personnel and readiness), the Pentagon, Washington, D.C. He is responsible, under the direction of the president, to look to the future and identify the components of a military compensation system that will attract, retain and motivate the diverse work force of the 21st century, and in the short term, support the readiness and quality of life initiatives.
The general entered the Air Force in 1967 as a distinguished graduate of the University of Michigan Reserve Officer Training Corps program. With 20 years of acquisition and resource allocation experience, he has held leadership positions in national priority programs, three major command headquarters, Air Staff, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force and Office of the Secretary of Defense. He also made lasting contributions to the Air Force programming and budgeting process while in the Pentagon and European Theater. As chief financial officer, he was responsible for more than 35 percent of the Air Force appropriated budget supporting weapon system research, development, test and repair at 20 Air Force Materiel Command locations.
1967 Bachelor of science degree in aerospace engineering, University of Michigan
1969 Master of science degree in astronautics, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
1988 Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. June 1967 - March 1969, student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
2. March 1969 - April 1973, missile trajectory and targeting engineer, 544th Aerospace Reconnaissance Technical Wing, Offutt Air Force Base, Neb.
3. April 1973 - April 1975, test manager, B-1 System Program Office, Rockwell International, Los Angeles
4. April 1975 - May 1977, flight test manager, B-1 System Program Office, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
5. June 1977 - July 1980, air launched cruise missile and ground launched cruise missile systems officer, Headquarters Air Force Systems Command, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
6. August 1980 - December 1980, student, Defense Systems Management College, Fort Belvoir, Va.
7. December 1980 - July 1983, plans and programs officer, directorate of programs and evaluation, Headquarters U.S. Air Force; later, directorate of program analysis and evaluation, Office of the Secretary of Defense, Washington, D.C.
8. July 1983 - August 1985, deputy for programs, assistant secretary of the Air Force, financial management, Washington, D.C.
9. August 1985 - June 1987, management engineering squadron commander and director of manpower, Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, West Germany
10. July 1987 - June 1988, student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. June 1988 - June 1992, deputy chief of staff for financial management and comptroller, space systems division, Los Angeles Air Force Base, Calif.
12. July 1992 - May 1993, assistant deputy chief of staff, plans and programs, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
13. May 1993 - November 1994, director, financial management and comptroller, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
14. November 1994 - present, deputy director of the 8th Quadrennial Review of Military Compensation, Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Force Management), Under Secretary of Defense (Personnel and Readiness), the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
1981 Outstanding Young Men of America
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Jun 5, 1967
First Lieutenant Dec 5, 1968
Captain Jun 5, 1970
Major May 31, 1978
Lieutenant Colonel Jul 1, 1983
Colonel Dec 1, 1986
Brigadier General Jul 1, 1993
(Current as of August 1995)