Chaplain (Brig. Gen.) Hiram L. "Doc" Jones is deputy chief of the Air Force Chaplain Service, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. He assists the chief of the chaplain service in directing and maintaining a trained, equipped and professional chaplain service. This includes more than 2,350 active-duty, Guard and Reserve chaplains, enlisted support personnel and civilians for the task of providing opportunities for the free exercise of religion to all Air Force personnel and their families worldwide. As a member of the Armed Forces Chaplains Board, he and other members serve as advisers to the secretary of defense and the Joint Chiefs of Staff on religion, ethical and quality-of-life concerns.
The chaplain is a native of Texas. He is a graduate of Madisonville High School, Madisonville, Texas. He entered the Air Force in 1969 after serving six years in civilian parishes. A member of the Texas Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, he has served in the Air Force Chaplain Service at wing level and in four major command offices.
1959 Bachelor of science degree, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas
1963 Master of divinity degree, Perkins School of Theology, Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas
1974 Honorary doctor of divinity degree, Wiley College, Marshall, Texas
1976 Graduate study, marriage and family counseling, Washington School of Psychiatry, Washington D.C., and the California Family Study Institute, Burbank, Calif.
1978 Graduate study, thanatology, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
1982 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. May 1969 - May 1972, Protestant chaplain, Kincheloe Air Force Base, Mich.
2. August 1974 - April 1978, Protestant chaplain, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
3. April 1978 - July 1979, Protestant chaplain, Kalkar Kaserne, West Germany
4. July 1979 - July 1981, senior Protestant chaplain, Bergstrom Air Force Base, Texas
5. July 1981 - June 1982, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
6. June 1982 - July 1985, chaplain and faculty member, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
7. July 1985 - February 1988, chief, plans and program division, Office of the Command Chaplain, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam Air Force Base, Hawaii
8. February 1988 - July 1991, chief, budget and logistics division, Office of the Command Chaplain, Headquarters Air Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
9. July 1991 - June 1993, senior chaplain, Bolling Air Force Base, D.C.
10. June 1993 - September 1995, command chaplain, Headquarters United States Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein Air Base, Germany.
11. September 1995 - June 1997, command chaplain, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Va.
12. June 1997 - present, deputy chief of the Air Force Chaplain Service, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Captain Jun 17, 1970
Major May 1, 1979
Lieutenant Colonel Jan 1, 1984
Colonel May 1, 1989
Brigadier General Aug 1, 1997
(Current as of September 1998)