Died September 07,2018
Major General Marcelite J. Harris is director of maintenance, deputy chief of staff, logistics, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C. She organizes, trains and equips a work force of more than 125,000 technicians and managers, and maintains the $260 billion plus Global Reach-Global Power aerospace weapons system inventory. She develops maintenance policy, ensuring the readiness of the single largest element of manpower supporting Air Force combat forces worldwide. She determines and defends an annual budget of more than $20 billion to the Office of the Secretary of Defense, Office of Management and Budget and Congress.
The general was commissioned through Officer Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, in 1965. She has held a variety of assignments, many of which resulted in "firsts" for women in the Air Force. She was the first woman aircraft maintenance officer, one of the first two women air officers commanding at the U.S. Air Force Academy, and the first woman deputy commander for maintenance. She also served as a White House social aide during the Carter administration.
1964 Bachelor of arts degree in speech and drama, Spelman College, Atlanta
1975 Squadron Officer School by correspondence, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1983 Air War College by seminar, Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1986 Bachelor of science degree in business management, University of Maryland
1989 Senior Officers in National Security Course, Harvard University, Mass.
1990 CAPSTONE General and Flag Officer Course, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
1994 National and International Security Management Course, Harvard University, Mass.
1995 Senior Managers in Government, Harvard University, Mass.
1. September 1965 - December 1965, student, Officer Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. December 1965 - January 1967, assistant director for administration, 60th Military Airlift Wing, Travis Air Force Base, Calif.
3. January 1967 - May 1969, administrative officer, 71st Tactical Missile Squadron, Bitburg Air Base, West Germany
4. May 1969 - September 1970, maintenance analysis officer, 36th Tactical Fighter Wing, Bitburg Air Base, West Germany
5. September 1970 - May 1971, student, Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Chanute Air Force Base, Ill.
6. August 1971 - May 1972, maintenance supervisor, 49th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Korat Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
7. June 1972 - September 1975, job control officer, later field maintenance supervisor, 916th Air Refueling Squadron, Travis Air Force Base, Calif.
8. September 1975 - May 1978, personnel staff officer and White House social aide, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
9. May 1978 - July 1980, air officer commanding, Cadet Squadron 39, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
10. July 1980 - July 1981, maintenance control officer, 384th Air Refueling Wing, McConnell Air Force Base, Kan.
11. July 1981 - March 1982, commander, 384th Avionics Maintenance Squadron, McConnell Air Force Base, Kan.
12. March 1982 - November 1982, commander, 384th Field Maintenance Squadron, McConnell Air Force Base, Kan.
13. November 1982 - March 1986, director of maintenance, Pacific Air Forces Logistic Support Center, Kadena Air Base, Japan
14. March 1986 - December 1988, deputy commander for maintenance, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
15. December 1988 - September 1990, commander, 3300th Technical Training Wing, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
16. September 1990 - July 1993, vice commander, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Center, Tinker Air Force Base, Okla.
17. July 1993 - August 1994, director of technical training, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
18. September 1994 - present, director of maintenance, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Presidential Unit Citation
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with "V" device and eight oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Vietnam Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
1996 Ellis Island Medal of Honor
1995 "Black Woman of Courage," National Federation of Black Women Business Owners
1995 "Military African American Woman" for contributions to the Department of Defense, National Political Congress of Black Women, Inc.
1995 "Women of Distinction" Award, Thomas W. Anthony Chapter, Air Force Association
1992 Woman of Enterprise, Journal Recording Publishing Co., Oklahoma City
1991 Most Prestigious Individual, Dollars and Sense Magazine
1990 Outstanding Young Woman of America
1990 Woman of the Year, National Organization of Tuskegee Airmen
Listed in "Who's Who Among Black Americans", "Who's Who in America'', and "Who's Who Among American Business Women"
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Dec 21, 1965
First Lieutenant Jan 21, 1967
Captain Dec 21, 1969
Major Apr 1, 1975
Lieutenant Colonel Oct 1, 1981
Colonel Sep 1, 1986
Brigadier General May 1, 1991
Major General May 25, 1995
(Current as of September 1996)