Brig. Gen. Sandra A. Gregory is Director of Budget Operations and Personnel, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, Washington, D.C. General Gregory is responsible for planning, formulating and directing the execution of the Air Force operations and maintenance, and military personnel annual budgets totaling more than $50 billion. The general leads a staff of military and civilian budget professionals who develop, integrate and defend the Air Force budget in response to the Office of the Secretary of Defense, the Office of Management and Budget, and Congress. With enacted appropriations, she is responsible for managing and executing the resources necessary to ensure Air Force readiness.
General Gregory is a native of Loyal, Wis., and graduated from Loyal High School in 1974. She received her Bachelor of Science degree in business administration from the University of Wisconsin-Superior where she graduated with highest honors in 1977. A distinguished graduate of Air Force ROTC, she received a commission as a second lieutenant in 1977.
General Gregory has served in a variety of financial management positions throughout the Department of Defense, to include wing, major command, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, and Joint Chiefs of Staff levels.
1977 Bachelor of Science degree in business administration, University of Wisconsin-Superior
1981 Master of Science degree in business administration, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, Texas
1983 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1988 Distinguished graduate, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1994 Master of Science degree in national resource strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2006 Seminar XXI - Foreign Politics, International Relations and the National Interest, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
1. July 1977 - July 1980, accounting and finance officer, 47th Flying Training Wing, Laughlin AFB, Texas
2. August 1980 - June 1981, budget officer, 47th Flying Training Wing, Laughlin AFB, Texas
3. July 1981 - January 1983, budget officer, 3rd Tactical Fighter Wing, Clark Air Base, Philippines
4. February 1983 - July 1987, budget analyst, executive officer, and Chief, Comptroller of Plans and Programs, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
5. August 1987 - June 1988, student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
6. June 1988 - July 1991, instructor, DOD Professional Military Comptroller School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. August 1991 - August 1993, budget analyst, U.S. Air Force Counterdrug Program, and Chief, President's Budget Cycle, Budget Programs Division, Headquarters U.S. Air Force; and military assistant to the Secretary of Defense for the 1993 Presidential Inauguration, Washington, D.C.
8. August 1993 - June 1994, graduate student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
9. July 1994 - July 1996, Deputy Comptroller and Budget Officer, Joint Chiefs of Staff, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
10. July 1996 - June 1999, Chief, Financial Analysis Division for Budget, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
11. June 1999 - June 2002, Director, Financial Management and Comptroller, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
12. July 2002 - present, Director of Budget Operations and Personnel, Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Financial Management and Comptroller, Washington, D.C.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Air Force Overseas Ribbon-Short with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Training Ribbon
Distinguished Alumna Award, University of Wisconsin-Superior
Junior Officer of the Year, Laughlin AFB, Texas
Toastmaster of the Year, Hawaii State District
Comptroller Educator of the Year, DOD Professional Military Comptroller School
Action Officer of the Year, Joint Chiefs of Staff Directorate
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 15, 1977
First Lieutenant July 15, 1979
Captain July 15, 1981
Major April 1, 1987
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 1993
Colonel July 1, 1998
Brigadier General Nov. 1, 2003
(Current as of July 2006)